Shhhh don’t tell anyone. It’s just between you and me. I have been a passholder for a few years and a Cast Member a few years ago. So in that time I have learned a few insider secrets that I thought you would appreciate. In case you missed our fun facts from the Magic Kingdom you can check them out here.
- On August 9, 2007, Meg Crofton, the president of Walt Disney World, announced that the park would be re-named as Disney World Hollywood Studios. Some of you may remember that Hollywood Studios used to be called MGM Studios.
- Hollywood Studios is modeled after Hollywood of the 1930’s and 40’s. The park is represented by the big sorcerer’s hat from the movie Fantasia.
- As you enter Hollywood Studios you are on Hollywood Blvd. The street is lined with stores. I recommend stopping in every store because you will find something new in each one.
- As you look down Hollywood studios you will see the infamous Mickey’s Sorcerers hat, behind that you will find a replica of Grauman’s Chinese Theater. Next to that is The Great Movie Ride which is a dark ride that takes you thru scenes from some classic and unforgettable movies.
- Take time to watch the street performers. They are really funny and will constantly involve members of the crowd.
- My favorite part of Hollywood Studios is The Streets of America because it was made to look like a New York backlot. It was originally a part of the backlot tour but it later opened to the public.
- Younger kids will like the Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure. Everything is made huge so it does a good job of making you feel tiny.
- You will also find Muppet Vision 3-d in The Streets of America. It is 3-d movie that incorporates the characters in the theater to give you life like experience.
- Make sure to stop by the Writers Stop for a good cup of coffee and a Carrot Cake Cookie!
- Animation Courtyard is marked by the square studio arch. In there you will find The Magic of Disney Animation, Walt Disney One Man’s Dream, Playhouse Disney Live on Stage, and one of my favorites Voyage of the Little Mermaid. Voyage of the Little Mermaid is a stage show that combines animatronic figures with human characters and glow in the dark puppets. I highly recommend it, there is sometimes a long wait for it but it is worth it. If nothing you else you will get to sit for a while in the air condition.
Tip: Inside The Magic of Animation you can take an art class from Animation Academy and best of all it’s free.
- Pixar Place is my daughter’s favorite. It has my favorite ride at Hollywood Studios and that is Toy Story Midway Mania.
- Make sure to get a fast pass for Toy Story Midway Mania early because they run out fast and the wait can be an hour if not more. As you leave the ride I recommend getting a Weezy Breezy Freezy, which is right across from the ride as you are leaving. It is really good. It’s like a smoothie and slurpee.
- Don’t forget to get in line and get you picture taken with Buzz & Woody!
- The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow will open this fall at Disney’s Hollywood Studios replaceing the former Narnia attraction, which closed in late 2011
A quick tip for those of you that suffer motion sickness like myself let me say that I can handle this ride. However the ride does spin, some cars spin more than others and you never what you are going to get. I always say if the ride would spin one more time that would have been it for me. It is not a constant spinning it does stop and give you time to recover. The ride also does throw you around a bit. That being said the ride is so much fun and that is the most important part.
- Sunset Blvd there you will find The Tower of Terror, Rock “N” Roller Coaster, there is also 2 outdoor theaters.
- One of them houses Beauty and The Beast Live on Stage and the other houses Fantasmic.
- Little Girls will love Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage.
- Some little kids may be scared by Fantasmic but I do recommend it. The wait for it is long and it feels like you are walking forever before you get to a seat and then once you sit down its more waiting but it is so worth it.
- Last but not least there is Echo Lake. Echo Lake is a small Lagoon in Hollywood Studios. Around the lagoon you will find The Amercian Idol Expirence, next door to that is the ABC Sound Studio. You will also find Stars Wars and Indiana Jones attractions there.
- Hollywood Studios is also home to The Obourne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights, this is definitly a must see. I saw this for the first time last year and I was sorry that I waited. The lights dance to the music and they are amazing to see. It is located on The Streets of America and it has over 5 million lights.
- Hollywood Studios also hosts Stars Wars weekends which usually runs May- June. Your little warriors can attend Jedi Training Academy and maybe see some stars from the movie series.
Do you have any tips for Hollywood Studios. Let us know in the comment box below.
Sunshine is a Disney fanatic. You will find her counting down the days until she goes back to Disney, while annoying her daughter will all things Disney.
P.S. – Studios Central is a great website for all things Hollywood Studio!
- Disney Confidential – Is Cars Land coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios? (chipandco.com)
- Disney World News: Fall 2012 Edition (chipandco.com)