A Few Things about Epcot You May Not Know
I love Epcot because it is the only place where I can visit 10 countries (not including The American Adventure) in one day and not have to leave the country or board an airplane.
- Epcot is an acronym for Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow.
- Epcot opened on October 1, 1982
- If you ride the People Mover over at the Magic Kingdom you can see the original plan for Epcot.
- Epcot was modeled after The World’s fair and has been called a permanent version of the World’s fair.
- The big Epcot ball is actually called Spaceship Earth, and is a ride.
- Epcot is divided into 2 sections Future World and World Showcase. World Showcase is where you can visit the different countries. Future world is where you will find Spaceship Earth and some technology exhibits as well as my favorite ride at Epcot, The Seas with Nemo and Friends. The Seas with Nemo and Friends is a very slow moving ride, so it is good for those of us that have suffer from motion sickness. You board a clam shell and travel thru the movie.
- Turtle Talk with Crush is also a must see especially for the younger kids. It is a 3-d computer animation that is voice activated. All of the kids sit upfront and Crush talks to them and he answers questions.
Tip: As you are leaving the Seas with Nemo and friends you will find Turtle Talk with Crush off to your left of the exit.
- The World showcase usually opens about 2 hours later then the rest of the park and it stays open later the Future world.
- Illuminations is definitely a must see. You can see it from anywhere around the World Showcase Lagoon.
Tip: I have found the best spot for viewing is somewhere between the Mexico and Canada pavilions. Grab a spot early because people do start claiming a spot an hour or sometimes more before showtime.
- Norway and Morocco were not yet built when Epcot opened.
- Epcot can be very educational. I home school my daughter so when we go to Epcot we get the opportunity to learn about different countries, of course we have fun also.
- Living with the Land is another do not miss. This is a very slow moving boat ride that takes you thru a kind of behind the scenes tour of the agriculture side of Disney, moving thru from many years ago to now. It also shows how technology makes things more efficient. Please note there are dark parts of this ride
- You can get some really good pictures at Epcot. I have found you can get some of the best pictures from the monorail. There are a lot of pretty flower arrangements that you can get a really good shot of from the monorail.
- Don’t forget to stop by Club Cool for some free Pop from around the Globe!
Tip: If you want a really good Picture of Spaceship Earth (The big ball) the best spot to take it is in Italy.
- A few more must have pictures would be the Eiffel Tower and the buildings in Italy are beautiful.
- Outside of every country there are Kidcot stations, where kids can draw or create something that they can take home with them. A free souvenir is always a good thing. Your little ones can also take this opportunity to learn about different customs from the country they are visiting because the cast members are actually from the country that you are visiting.
- Cantina de San Angel is counter service restaurant in Mexico. The food there is amazing, and I am very picky eater. The food is authentic Mexican made by people from Mexico, it doesn’t get any better than that. The prices are a little expensive but not as expensive as some table service restaurants. You get large portions so you could split the meal between 2 people. After 4pm you do have to sit outside but you sit under a covered patio and you get a view of the World Showcase Lagoon.
Tip: Seating at Cantina de San Angel can get really crowded around the time of Illuminations because it is prime viewing area with seats.
Do you know any more fun facts about Epcot? Let us know in the comment box below.
Sunshine is a Disney fanatic. You will find her counting down the days until she goes back to Disney, while annoying her daughter will all things Disney.
- Top 5 Ways to Beat the Heat at Walt Disney World (chipandco.com)
- No Test Track. Is Epcot Even Worth a Visit? (chipandco.com)