When it comes to gluten free dining, Disney is a GF food mecca. Not only do the parks & resorts offer a variety of gluten free products (and naturally gluten free dishes) but they also adhere to some of the most rigorous special diets handling and training in the world. That means your food will be delicious and safe! While guests can get gluten free offerings at most quick service and table service locations, there are definitely some restaurants that really stand-out above the rest. This list contains the top 10 most gluten free friendly dining spots at Disney World.
10. Sunshine Seasons (Epcot): This quick service restaurant, located in the Land pavilion in Future World in Epcot is well known for having flavorful and unique options that stand out from the traditional burgers and fries fare often found at many other quick service locations. In addition, it boasts an entirely gluten free grill section. Yes, you read that right. Entirely gluten free (*Note: always check with a chef before ordering to confirm that items are still gluten free). The other bonus at this location is that you will get to speak to an actual chef instead of a manager. This gives guests a little more flex with some custom dishes that may not be listed on the menu. Add in some of the best quick service food and you’ve got a great go-to spot for gluten free diners.
9. Sassagoula Floatworks & Food Factory (Port Orleans French Quarter): I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. This place only needs one word to describe it. Beignets. This resort quick service location offers up honest to goodness gluten free (and food allergy friendly) beignets. Just make sure to check in with a chef, and soon these piping hot, deep fried, powdered sugar smothered treats can be yours and are available in the restaurant during their entire operating hours. How great is that? And you’ll want to enjoy the rest of the ‘Nawlins inspired food here too. Almost the entire menu can be made gluten free, including many of the Po’Boy sandwiches.
8. Columbia Harbour House (Magic Kingdom): When it comes to chicken tenders, Columbia Harbour House has these down to an art. Here you can score some of the best fried gluten free and allergy chicken tenders on property. The kitchen uses dedicated fryers which makes for a safe and delicious meal. Even better, the restaurant also carries a Special Diets Menu that you’ll be given upon checking in with a cashier, making it easier to know what’s gluten free friendly before a Disney manager comes to talk to you. With its streamlined process and tasty food, you’ll want to make Columbia Harbour House a must-do on your Disney dining rotation.
7. 50’s Prime Time Cafe (Hollywood Studios): This table service location found in Hollywood Studios has some of the sought after gluten free items — gluten free fried chicken. And believe me, this dish does not disappoint. However, guests wishing to order the gluten free fried chicken do need to give the restaurant advance notice, at least 48 hours (if not more). The process of making this delicious dish is lengthy and takes at least 45 minutes, so advance notice is definitely necessary. Just contact Disney’s Special Diets Department for more info. Looking for something else? 50’s Prime Time also serves a variety of other great gluten free options like meatloaf (yes, it’s gluten free) and even the fish of the day. You can also get a variation of the chicken pot pie. You’ll swear it’s just like mom used to make…only gluten free!
6. California Grill (Contemporary): When it comes to signature dining locations, California Grill is one of the best at Disney World. And they also carry an amazing array of gluten free offerings. Craving sushi? No problem! California Grill even has a special diets sushi menu which offers many gluten free options which include gluten free soy sauce/tamari. This restaurant definitely boasts some of the best sushi on property so indulge! Sushi not your thing? There are tons of dishes here to tempt your taste buds. And with a signature restaurant comes the ability to create elaborate gluten free options that are refined and delicious. This location is fantastic for a special occasion.
5. Cape May Cafe (Beach Club): When it comes to a seafood buffet, Cape May Cafe at the Beach Club is tops at Disney World. Their clambake style dinner is a gluten free haven. Most of the seafood is simply steamed with nothing added. This means tons of crab legs, mussels and clams. In addition, the buffet has a variety of gluten free friendly offerings that even include soups and salads (my favorite is the Cape May Salad with cranberries and a citrus vinaigrette, custom made to remove the blue cheese). When dining the buffet, consult with the chef who will bring you safe items from the back. Save room for dessert! This restaurant stocks Babycakes NYC’s gluten free and allergy friendly cupcakes and cookies. You definitely will leave this restaurant stuffed to the gills!
4. Boma: Flavors of Africa (Animal Kingdom Lodge): When it comes to buffets, Boma: Flavors of Africa in the Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo House is hands down one of the best for gluten free diners. Breakfast includes custom omelets, a carving station, grilled vegetables, quinoa and so much more. Chefs can even make gluten free diners the adorable allergy friendly Mickey waffles. They also carry gluten free muffins and donuts. Dinner is a carnivore’s delight with even more carving stations and meat offerings. The restaurant is known for great soups, so indulge in those that are gluten free. Craving those famous zebra domes? Guess what? As a gluten free diner, you can get a gluten free version! Just check with your chef for these desserts with a cult like following.
3. Kouzzina (Boardwalk): Breakfast and dinner at Kouzzina as a gluten free diner are some of the best on Disney property. Located in the Boardwalk, you will want to make sure to stop by this hidden gem for either one of these meals. Breakfast offerings are unique and include turkey sweet potato hash and even a “stacked Kouzzina breakfast” which includes olive tapenade. Looking for something sweet? They have some of the best gluten free and allergy friendly Mickey waffles on property! Gluten free diners will adore the version that includes marscapone cheese, honey and pecans. Talk about decadent! For dinner, diners will be overwhelmed by the amount of options available to them. The dolmades (grape leaves stuff with rice and dill) make for a great appetizer as does the sampler platter. And they even include gluten free pita bread!
2. Raglan Road Irish Pub (Downtown Disney): Gluten free fish and chips. That says it all. Raglan Road is the hands down best table service location for gluten free fried foods. Not only can you get gluten free fish and chips but you can also get GF onion rings, fries, and scallops. In addition to these deep fried delights, guests can also order a ton of other gluten free dishes like shepherd’s pie and burgers. To add to the gluten free awesomness, this pub also carries Magners Irish Cider (in regular and pear flavors) and even gluten free beer. It has repeatedly been voted as one of the most gluten free friendly restaurants in Orlando for several years running.
1. Sanaa (Animal Kingdom Lodge): Hands down the most gluten free (and special diets) friendly location on Disney property has to be Sanaa. Located in Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge, Kidani Village, this table service restaurant has so many naturally gluten free dishes, it’s ridiculous! They even have gluten free lunch and dinner menus that guests are given upon arrival, which is really helpful while waiting for a Disney chef to come talk to you. Start off with the bread service served with lentil pappadums and tons of dips (hummus, etc.) or even one of their soups. The tomato soup is outrageously good. For entrees, there are tons of gluten free choices from Durban chicken and butter chicken to the seasonal fish in a light curry broth. And check out some of their seasonal sorbets for dessert. They are made in-house and are delicious. Adding to the amazing gluten free offerings is the view in this restaurant. What can be better than ordering some delicious gluten free food, sipping some wine or an African Starr Mint Mojito (my favorite) and watching the animals on the Savannah?
So there you have it. The top 10 best restaurants for gluten free diners at Disney World. As you can see, there are tons of unique and delicious offerings for guests who happen to be gluten free.
Did we miss any of your favorites?
When Sarah isn’t sharing planning tips about the Walt Disney World Resort, you can find her at Gluten Free & Dairy Free at WDW where she writes dining reviews and shares tips and tricks about dining at Disney with a special diet.Hundreds of New Arrivals at Disney Store! Shop Now!
Let my friends at World of Magic Travel help you plan your next Magical Disney Vacation. Their services are 100% free with no cost to you. Who wouldn't want someone to do all the tedious trip planning and reservations for them? Just use the box in the top right of the page (or click here), and one of our Travel Magicians will be in touch with shortly. Remember everyone deserves a little magic when booking their vacation, and World of Magic Travel is here to help.
Latest posts by Sarah N (see all)
- Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party with a Special Diet - September 10, 2014
- Food Allergy & Celiac Convention Comes to Disney World on November 22, 2014 - September 10, 2014
- 2014 Epcot Food & Wine Festival Gluten Free Options - August 11, 2014