Howdy partner! Welcome to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, the wildest ride in the wilderness. As a part of the mountain range in the Magic Kingdom, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad towers over Frontierland alongside Splash Mountain.
- The train does take three good dips which can bring you slightly out of your seat.
- While it only reaches up to 30 mph, with the twists and turns around the 197′ butte, it’s enough to slide you around in your seat and even produce squeals of delight from all passengers aboard.
- Ride duration is about 3.5 minutes from start to finish. Each seat will comfortably fit 2 adults or one adult and two small children.
- There is a 40″ height requirement on this ride.
- Seating yourself at the rear of each train can provide you with a “wilder” ride. For a “tamer” experience, take a seat toward the front.
- Compare the wait time with Splash Mountain. Whichever attraction is longer, get a FastPass. Then enjoy the other “mountain” while you wait out your FastPass.
Big Thunder can become quite busy during peak touring times, so you may want to get a FastPass. I suggest riding in the early morning or late afternoon as the queue does become quite uncomfortable with the heat of the day. If you can time it right, riding Big Thunder Mountain during Wishes is so cool!
Quick Tip: Riding at night is a very different experience than during the day. If you can, try to ride at least once after dark. There’s something about rambling around in the mine train after dark with Cinderella Castle illuminated in the distance that creates a very different experience than its daytime counterpart.
Overall, we give this ride an “A-“.
Thank you for visiting Chip and Co. Be sure to sign up for our Daily Newsletter where we deliver the best in Disney News & Planning Tips to your inbox! You can find us all over the internet at Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+, Tumblr, and even our Tee Public Store!