Is Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort And Spa For You?
Walt Disney World’s premier resort is Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa but that’s not really the question here. Is this resort what you are looking for is the question that needs to be answered. This particular resort generates specific and sometimes strong feelings from almost everyone. These feelings run from “I would never stay anywhere else.” to “I would never stay there because….”. I’m on the side that loves this resort and we stay there fairly regularly but we also love to try many of the Disney resorts so we don’t stay there every trip by any means. Let’s take a look at the Pros and Cons of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa:
- The resort is absolutely beautiful and oozes sophistication and luxury.
- The staff is the most accommodating that I have found in any Disney resort at all positions and levels.
- The theme is magnificent, honoring the glory days of Victorian Florida. It is very detailed and beautifully done.
- Dining is unparalleled in any other Disney resort. There are three superior table service venues including the best restaurant in Central Florida, Victoria and Albert’s, Citrico’s, and Narcoossee‘s. In addition there is an excellent character buffet at 1900 Park Fare with what is purported to be the best buffet food at Walt Disney World and it serves both breakfast and dinner. In addition there is a wonderful casual table service restaurant, the Grand Floridian Cafe, that is consistently excellent in both service and food. If that’s not enough there is a pretty decent quick service restaurant, Gasparilla’s.
- One of the most relaxing activities in all of Walt Disney World is the Afternoon Tea in the Garden View Lounge. Every visit to Walt Disney World, no matter where we are staying, this is a must do!
- Transportation is excellent and includes bus transportation, several boats, and of course the Monorail.
- Here is where I hear the most negatives but LOTS of people feel that the resort is not “kid friendly”. It really is very “kid friendly” and I’ve found that they run as fast and scream as loudly as the kids at every Disney resort. Kids activities abound and include storytelling, scavenger hunts, crafts, etc. There is a zero entry pool with a water slide that kids absolutely love. Children are very well served at the Grand Floridian.
- The rooms are beautifully appointed and larger than most at about 400 square feet.
- There is daily live entertainment in the Grand Lobby consisting, at different times, of a pianist or a full orchestra.
- There is lots of shopping available, mostly on the second floor of the main building, ranging from very upscale to the standard Disney shops.
- There are not a lot of CONS but the most obvious is – the COST!! Staying at the Grand Floridian can be cost prohibitive unless you are very wealthy (not me for sure), have a disciplined vacation savings program (yes, that’s me), or know how to find the most significant discounts available (Yes, I do this too). If you approach it like we do it’s only expensive and not OMG!!!!!EXPENSIVE.
- Some folks feel stifled because of the apparent formality of the resort. Sure, it looks very formal but everyone there is on vacation just like you, all you have to do is relax.
We have stayed here on a few vacations and absolutely love it. I tried to be as balanced as I could but for us, there is simply not much to dislike. If you do not spend a lot of time around your resort or just use your room for sleeping and showering, DO NOT STAY AT THIS RESORT!! It’s simply not worth it unless you take the time to enjoy it. However, if you do enjoy detail, impeccable service, great food etc. I highly recommend this resort. I asked the question – Is Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa for you? – you have to decide that for yourself. I know we love it and if it works for you I know you will thoroughly enjoy it as well. As always, enjoy your visit to Walt Disney World!!