We all know that Walt Disney loved train and he even used them as part of the transportation around some of his parks. They play an important part of Walt Disney World and you can go behind the scenes and see how in this fun-filled (and fact filled) foray into the fascinating world of steam trains and their role at the Magic Kingdom Park.
Loco About Locomotives?
Join Disney’s railroad engineers before the park opens for a behind-the-scenes look at how they keep things chugging along.
On this eye-opening 3-hour tour sure to delight railroad enthusiasts of all ages, you’ll:
- Ride the rails around the park in a fully restored antique freight train.
- Gain exclusive backstage access to the roundhouse, where the steam engines are stored and serviced.
- Discover what it takes to keep these turn-of-the-century trains in top working order.
- Watch as Disney engineers prepare them for yet another busy day of service.
- Hear about Walt Disney’s lifelong passion for steam trains and how he decided to make them an integral part of Magic Kingdom park.
About Their Water-Powered Workhorses
A fixture at Walt Disney World Resort since opening day in 1971, all 4 trains are lovingly restored antiques. Lilly Belle, Roy O. Disney, Roger E. Broggie and Walter E. Disney, as they are affectionately known, once hauled sugarcane for United Railways of Yucatán in Mexico but were spotted by Disney scouts in 1969, and the rest is history. They now comprise the Walt Disney World Railroad and have been happily circling Magic Kingdom theme park’s 1.5-mile track ever since.
The Know Before You Go
View important information including departure time, Guest restrictions and transportation policies.
- Due to time constraints, this 3-hour tour departs promptly at 7:30 AM. Because the tour begins prior to regular park hours, standard Walt Disney World transportation may not be available and you may have to arrange alternate transportation to arrive at the location on time. Check with your Resort Concierge for transportation options.
- Guests opting to drive their personal vehicle may park at Disney’s Contemporary Resort and then walk to the Magic Kingdom park entrance. Please provide your confirmation number at the security kiosk at Disney’s Contemporary Resort. Guests are responsible for their own transportation costs (e.g., taxi fare).
- Please keep in mind that this is an outdoor tour, so be sure to check the weather forecast and dress appropriately, including comfortable shoes, as there will be periods of walking and standing.
- No cameras, video equipment or cell phones may be used while backstage. Photography is allowed and encouraged in non-backstage areas.
- Guests must be 10 years of age or older and have a valid photo ID.
- Please check in at the Main Entrance of Magic Kingdom park 15 minutes prior to the start of your tour. You will forfeit the entire price of your tour if you no-show or cancel within 2 days of your reservation.
- Price is $49.00 per adult
Have you ever done this tour? It looks like it will be a lot of fun to learn all about these steam trains and the history that goes along with them. Join us next time as we continue around the Magic Kingdom and see all the little extras it has to offer.
Let me book your your chance to learn all about the history of these trains or any of the other tours and events we have talked about on your next vacation. At DIF we offer personalized travel planning, lots of extras and kids get the first Mickey Mouse Ice Cream on me. Call me at 832-233-4468 or check out my page, here and we can get started on making me your personal travel assistant for free !
- Magic Kingdom Extras You Don’t Want to Miss – Disney’s Keys to the Kingdom Tour (chipandco.com)
- Top 5 Quick Service Dining Locations at Magic Kingdom (chipandco.com)
- Magic Kingdom Extra’s You Don’t Want To Miss – Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique (chipandco.com)
Thank you for visiting Chip and Co. Be sure to sign up for our Daily Newsletter where we deliver the best in Disney News & Planning Tips to your inbox! You can find us all over the internet at Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and even our Tee Public Store!
DISCLOSURE: I may be an affiliate for products that I recommend on our website. If you purchase those items through my links I will sometimes earn a commission. You will not pay more when buying a product through my link. In fact, I oftentimes am able to negotiate a lower rate (or bonuses) not available elsewhere. Plus, when you order through my link, it helps me to pay for my website, and continue to offer you lots of free stuff. Thank you, in advance for your support!
Latest posts by Erin B (see all)
- Disney Gift Card Transfer Week – Get a FREE Disney Gift Card! - August 21, 2014
- A Celebration of Harry Potter with a magical 3 day event! - August 20, 2014
- You Can Run..You Can Run – Tinkerbell Half Marathon Opens for Registration - August 12, 2014