On January 7th, Disneyland’s Big Thunder Mountain is set to close for the better part of the year as it gets a new paint job, tracks and vehicles.
This is the third major refurb of a ride at Disneyland in as many years. The Big Thunder Mountain Railroad has been open in the Frontierland section since 1979. The ride is themed as a runaway train that speeds through the Old West and is a park favorite.
The overhaul does include new vehicles similar to what Disneyland did with Matterhorn’s Bobsleds earlier this year. The new vehicles have received mixed review that the seats are cramped and provide little support or cushion.
A spokeswoman for the park said Big Thunder Mountain will get new trains, but they will probably resemble the existing trains, with no major changes to the seats.
- ‘Big Thunder Mountain’ Set To Become a TV Series on ABC (chipandco.com)
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad To Get New Interactive Queue And Expanded Storyline (chipandco.com)
- Disneyland Refurbishment Schedule for January 2013 (chipandco.com)
Be sure to check out our sister site Disney Addicts, where we feature all the best Disney Planning Tips and more! Or drop by our You Might Be a Disney Addict Facebook group where you can chat about your your home away from home... Disney!
Latest posts by Chip and Co Guest Blogger (see all)
- Episode VII Fans Celebrate Rey Day 2016 at Disneyland Park - January 27, 2016
- 10 Disney Souvenirs You’ll Be Glad You Bought - December 30, 2015
- Walt in Walt’s Disneyland Footsteps Tour Review - September 4, 2015