Updated August 19, 2018 at 3:25 pm.
There is just a few more days to go until the much anticipated Solar Eclipse. The eclipse in Central Florida is projected to block out anywhere from 80% to 90% of the sun providing guests of Disney World some great views. Total darkness can occur between 2:30 and 3:30 pm.
Many people have been asking what Disney has planned for the unique event. While nothing official has been announced by Disney, the operating hours of some attractions have been changed. Here is a list of the changes that have been announced so far. We will keep updating it as information comes in:
- The Marina at the Grand Floridian Resort will be closed all day on Monday and reopen on Tuesday.
- Tom Sawyer Island at the Magic Kingdom will close at 2 pm and will stay closed for the entire day on Monday.
- Animal Trails at Animal Kingdom will close briefly prior to it getting dark and will reopen once the darkness period is over.
- Blizzard Beach will close as needed at the onset of darkness. Entertainment will be available at the beach area of the park and additional lighting will be added. Also, buses will be running directly to Typhoon Lagoon from 1:30 to 2:45 pm.
- Typhoon Lagoon already has nighttime lighting installed and will be utilizing during the darkness period. There should be no impact to guests of the park.
- Sammy Duvall’s Watersports Centre will be closed from 12 to 5 pm on Monday since Disney is shutting down all lake activities.
- Ferry Transportation sounds like it will be also stopped between 12 and 5 pm per Sammy Duvall’s announcement. No official word on this has been announced by Disney as of now.
If you plan on being at Disney World and want to view the eclipse, make sure to bring your own glasses! Disney will not be providing any for their guests due to liability reasons.
Make sure to keep following all for additional updates!
Let’s start planning your next visit to Disney World or a Disney Destination! CLICK HERE or send an email for a FREE, no obligation quote with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner. I offer rate monitoring to ensure you are receiving the best available rate offered by Disney and my services are 100% FREE!
As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to help you with everything from finding your perfect package to nabbing those hard-to-get dining and FastPass reservations. I work with all Disney Destinations. Best of all, my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.954.401.9577, via email at MickeyTravelsHolly@gmail.com, or follow along on Facebook.
Be sure to check out our sister site Disney Addicts, where we feature all the best Disney Planning Tips and more! Or drop by our You Might Be a Disney Addict Facebook group where you can chat about your your home away from home... Disney!
Latest posts by Holly R (see all)
- Peek Inside a Disney Fairy Tale Wedding - September 23, 2017
- Star-Lord Joins Marvel Day at Sea Aboard Disney Cruise Line - September 22, 2017
- Construction Begins on New Ratatouille Ride Coming to Epcot - September 22, 2017