Top 5 Reasons Why You Should Arrive at Rope Drop
Some of you may be asking yourself, “Rope drop? What’s that?” Well, Rope Drop is term used to refer to the official opening of a Disney park; and many Disney regulars strongly encourage Disney guests to be at the gate at this time of day for this event.
But why? Is it really worth getting up that early and battling the packed turnstiles? With Disney’s free FastPass system, is it really necessary?
I believe that the answer is yes! Here are my Top 5 reasons why!
5. Peak Season Crowds - Most guests can only visit WDW during the summertime or the holidays; and naturally, these periods are infamous for heavy crowds and long waits. However, from rope drop to about an hour or two after opening during peak season, the crowds are considerably light and it maybe one of the few times of day that you can enjoy some of the park’s most popular attractions for little to no wait! So if you are visiting during Peak Season, arriving at rope drop will really make your day at the parks much more enjoyable!
4. Characters - In my experience, there seems be more characters roaming about the parks right after rope drop; and since there aren’t as many guests in the park during this time of day, this means shorter lines for that picture and autograph from your favorite Disney character!
3. Extra Activity - I have also noticed that there is extra fun and activity going on after Rope Drop. For example, at the Magic Kingdom, Main Street Vehicles, the Dapper Dans, and even the Main Street Mayor are out and about during these early hours. Also, each Disney park, with the exception of Epcot, have small opening celebrations a few minutes before the gates open! Magic Kingdom definitely has the best so be sure to check it out.
2. Empty Park - This reason is simple, but it is really one of the biggest rewards for guests who get up early on their vacation. Despite the long lines at the gate when you arrive before park opening, and the flood of people who rush into the park, the numbers aren’t nearly what they will be later in the day and you will feel as if you have the park almost to yourself! It’s a great chance to get those castle pics without anyone’s head in your shot or to walk down the middle of Main Street without getting lost in the sea of people!
1. Maximizes Time – Disney World consists of four theme parks, two water parks, a shopping district, lots of resorts, and more. That’s a lot to see and do in one vacation so time is of the essence! A great way to maximize that time is by arriving at the parks at rope drop. Since the parks are much less crowded in the morning, you can get experience more popular attractions before lunch than you will be able to do in a whole afternoon. This leaves you with more time to enjoy more Disney magic; and we highly recommend this for first time guests.
So what do you think? Is arriving a rope drop worth it? What is your experience? Share with us!
- Rope Drop: Love it or Leave it?
- Ask a Disney Question – Rope Drop for Extra Magic Hours
- Dining: Mickey Character Meals (aglassslippervacation.com)