The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror is one of my favorite attractions – both at Disney California Adventure park and Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Especially this time of year, it seems extra spooky. Each time I “check in,” I discover some new cobweb-covered detail. That’s why I wanted to share these little-known facts about the attraction at Disney California Adventure park:
- Reaching 183 feet, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror is made of more than 900 tons of steel, 1,600 cubic yards of concrete, 50,000 square feet of exterior plaster and about two miles of HV DC power cable.
- The “service elevators” ridden by guests move faster than the speed of gravity.
- The music heard in the Hollywood Tower Hotel courtyard and lobby features jazz and popular tunes from the 1930′s, such as “I Can’t Get Started With You” by Bunny Berigan, “We’ll Meet Again” by Vera Lynn and “Mood Indigo” by Duke Ellington.
- The “Twilight Zone” episode from which Rod Serling’s appearance in the Library scene was taken is entitled “It’s A Good Life,” written by Rod Serling. The episode tells the story of a little boy who can read minds and control people.
- The two glass display cases just outside the Library contain props that reference two “Twilight Zone” episodes:
- Gold thimble – From “The After Hours,” starring Anne Francis as a woman who has forgotten that she is not actually a human being but a department store mannequin.
- Broken stopwatch – From “A Kind of a Stopwatch,” the story of a watch that could actually stop time.
Can you name some of the other “Twilight Zone”-inspired props throughout the hotel?
Source Disney Parks Blog
- Blue Sky Cellar Open Today with New Disney California Adventure Park Updates (chipandco.com)
- What is lurking at Walt Disney World After Dark? (chipandco.com)
Thank you for visiting Chip and Co - Your home for the best in Disney News!
Please note we sometimes get commissions for purchases made through links in our posts.
Latest posts by Chip (see all)
- New Custom Screen Printed T-Shirts being offered for Epcot Festival of the Arts - January 12, 2018
- 2018 Epcot Festival of the Arts Food Booth Menus Revealed - January 3, 2018
- Guest chants “Lock him up” and is escorted out of the Hall of Presidents in the Magic Kingdom - December 28, 2017