Tag Archives: Disney’s Contemporary Resort
Please be advised that refurbishment information is subject to change without notice and should be confirmed just prior to visiting.
Magic Kingdom Park
- Jan. 2 – March 19, 2013: Splash Mountain will be closed for refurbishment. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is the recommended alternate.
- Jan. 6 – May 17, 2013: Main Street Bakery will be closed for refurbishment.
- Feb. 1 – 7, 2013: Liberty Square Riverboat will be closed for refurbishment. The Walt Disney World Railroad is the recommended alternate.
- Now – Mid-February 2013: Epcot Character Spot will be closed for refurbishment. A temporary Character Spot location near the current location will be open for Guests to greet Mickey, Minnie & Pluto. The temporary location is between the restrooms and Club Cool.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Jan. 7-12, 2013: Beauty and the Beast – Live on Stage will be closed. The recommended alternatives are: Muppet*Vision 3-D and Voyage of the Little Mermaid.
- Jan 14 – Feb. 13, 2013: Disney Junior – Live on Stage! will be closed for refurbishment. The recommended alternatives are: Muppet*Vision 3-D and Voyage of the Little Mermaid.
Chef Mickey’s is a character buffet located in the Contemporary Resort, right next door to the Magic Kingdom. This buffet offers a fun, contemporary setting, along with Mickey and the gang dressed in chef apparel!
Since this restaurant does showcase the main mouse himself, Chef Mickey’s is one of the most popular restaurants in all of WDW; and today, I’m giving you my top 5 reasons why I think you should try if for yourself!
5. Location-A huge part of the Contemporary’s appeal is its location! The Contemporary Resort sits right next to the Magic Kingdom. In fact, some of the resort’s rooms actually overlook the park! Talk about a room with a view! Anyway, Chef Mickey’s is located on one of the main floors of the resort with a cavernous ceiling overhead; and while there isn’t much of a theme, the dining area still feels warm and full of fun!
4. Appeals to Whole Family-Typically the term “character buffet” sends up red flags for adult diners; but even though Chef Mickey’s is definitely family-friendly, the contemporary atmosphere and great food makes this dining spot rank higher than others with adults. Also, because this is a character meal, and the Contemporary is pretty impressive with the Monorail zipping through the lobby, kids are always impressed and have a ball!
Attention fans of the California Grill! The restaurant that sits atop Disney’s Contemporary Resort is closing February 1st for a major makeover! While executive chef Brian Piasecki is tweaking the menu, the culinary focus will remain on fresh, seasonal creations.
The California Grill opened on May 15, 1995, and quickly became a Disney favorite, garnering rave reviews from food critics. In addition to its California fusion cooking and sushi, it’s location on the Contemporary 15th floor, is famous for its spectacular views of Walt Disney World’s Seven Seas Lagoon, the Magic Kingdom and the firework shows over Cinderella Castle. The California Grill will reopen in the summer 2013.
- Disney World Refurbishment Schedule December 2012 (chipandco.com)
Disney’s Contemporary Resort will once again be hosting Disney World Christmas Day Church Services in the Fantasia Ballroom.
Catholic services will be held at 8am and 10:15am. Protestant services will be held at 9am.
The Contemporary Resort normally limits parking on Christmas Day to their guests only. If you are not staying at the Contemporary Resort, alternate modes of transportation available include traveling via the bus system or monorail. Be sure to allow extra time if your plans include taking the bus system to the Magic Kingdom to travel via the monorail system. The Magic Kingdom is very popular, especially on Christmas Day, and you will probably have to wait for several buses before you finally catch one.
Here is this months Refurbishment and Closure Schedule for Walt Disney World for January 2013 and beyond. Refurbishment/closure information is subject to change without notice and should be confirmed just prior to visiting. Updated information is available at the Disney World Website.
- Grand Floridian Spa (Grand Floridian Resort) closed through 12/16/12 due to construction at the resort. The Grand Floridian Fitness Center remains open and guests may use The Spa at Saratoga Springs Resort.
- Gasparilla Grill and Games (Grand Floridian Resort) closed through 12/17/12. An extended menu will be available at the Beach Pool Bar and pre-packaged food will be available at Mizner’s Lounge.
- Typhoon Lagoon closed through 1/5/13 for annual refurbishment.
- Ivy Trellis Beauty and Barber Shop (Grand Floridian Resort) closed through mid-February 2013 for refurbishment.
- Epcot Character Spot (Epcot) closed through mid-February 2013. A temporary location will be available near the Fountain View Ice Cream shop where you can see Mickey, Minnie and Pluto. Goofy is appearing at Epcot’s main entrance, near Spaceship Earth.
- Courtyard Pool (Grand Floridian Resort) closed through February 2013 for refurbishment. A zero-entry slope will be added. The Beach Pool and Slide will remain open.