Tag Archives: discovery island
Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse have a new home base at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
Adventurers Outpost opens today on Discovery Island, and it’s the exploration headquarters for everyone’s favorite globetrotting duo, where they get together with friends old and new.Step inside Adventurers Outpost, and you’ll find mementos from Mickey and Minnie’s expeditions around the world, including stunning photographs from their trips to destinations as varied as the mountains of Nepal and the savannas of Africa.
Are you planning on attending the 15th anniversary of Disney’s Animal Kingdom this Earth Day, April 22?
Here are a few of the details of what’s planned for the park’s anniversary.
- Special opening ceremony – Meet at the Tree of Life at 8:40 a.m., to hear from Josh D’Amaro, Vice President of Disney’s Animal Kingdom; Dr. Jackie Ogden, Vice President of Animals, Science and Environment; and Joe Rohde, Senior Vice President of Walt Disney Imagineering Creative. Make sure you arrive early for this!
Disney’s Animal Kingdom may not be open as long as many of the other parks but they do pack in as much as they can in the hours that is available. While walking around I know I get hungry. We often get asked from fans, Are there many Quick Service choices for Dining in Disney’s Animal Kingdom? My answer would be, most definitely, and it’s some of the best food I’ve found in the Walt Disney World Parks.
Here is a rundown of what you can find throughout the park for snacks, a quick bite or a full meal. There are carts scattered all over the park, with often one item and beverages being the only options. Also a great choice are kiosks with no seating provided, but with plenty available nearby, usually 3 or more choices with beverages. Lastly there are full Quick Service plazas with dining, restroom facilities and plenty of indoor/outdoor seating.
Why include the carts and kiosks? Well, sometimes snacking around the Animal Kingdom is the best way. There are tons of nooks to grab a table and enjoy your surroundings.
- The Beastly Kiosk-Offers corn dogs, chips and beverage choices. Perfect if you are looking for quick eats as you enter the park.
- Safari Coffee-One of several kiosks near the tree of life. Perfect for an early morning stop, Safari Coffee offers coffee, espresso beverages, breakfast pastry and cupcakes. Seating is available nearby.
- Safari Ice Cream, Popcorn and Pretzels-Three kiosks located right before the entrance to Africa. Here you will find hand scooped ice cream, popcorn and stuffed pretzels. All serve water and soft drinks. The popcorn kiosk also serves beer.
- Flame Tree Barbecue- A Full Quick Service option near the road towards Dinoland, USA. The menu consists of house-smoked specialties; including ribs, pork and chicken. Salads and beverages are available. Seating is an outdoor, partially covered pavillion with amazing views of Everest.
- Pizzafari-Also a Full Quick Service option on the path towards Camp Mickey and Minnie. Both breakfast aand lunch are served here. Another benefit is indoor (aka air-conditioned) and outdoor seating. Breakfast options include Eggs, French Toast, Frittatas and Fresh Fruit. Lunch offers Pizza, Sandwiches and Salads.
While lions may be known as the king of the jungle, a tiny, one-pound monkey will have top billing at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Throughout the month of August, guests will be invited to join in activities centered around the cotton-top tamarin, a critically endangered primate from northern Colombia.
August 15th, is the official Day of the Cotton-top Tamarin in Colombia so we’ve created a celebration for our guests to enjoy. Get ready to participate in a variety of activities from learning how scientists track tamarins in the forest, what cotton-tops like to eat, and how people in Colombia are helping to recycling plastic bags into amazing tote bags called eco-mochilas. But a cotton-top tamarin celebration wouldn’t be complete unless you learned the cotton-top tamarin dance and enjoyed a tasty cotton-top tamarin cupcake
Sometimes called the “punk rock primates” because of their wild manes of white hair that outline their black faces, their numbers are dwindling because of habitat loss and the pet trade. Because of efforts by Dr. Anne Savage, Conservation Director for Disney’s Animal Programs and other conservationists, the cotton-top tamarin has been added to the critically endangered species list, giving them international protection from the federal government to prohibit them from being hunted or captured.
“We created this celebration as a way to highlight the effects that humans have on natural habitats,” said Anne. “Conservation celebrations are important because it helps people of all ages understand and appreciate these amazing animals and learn what it takes to protect them for future generations.”
Guests can see cotton-tops in Discovery Island in a habitat in front of the Tree of Life and also at Rafiki’s Planet Watch in Habitat Habit!, a fun and educational wildlife trail between the Wildlife Express Train and Conservation Station. Cotton-tops have been on exhibit at Disney’s Animal Kingdom since 1998 and serve as ambassadors for the species so that guests can better understand the importance of conservation efforts to help protect them.
- Baby Okapi Welcomed at Disney’s Animal Kingdom (chipandco.com)
- Cool Treats at Walt Disney World – Disney’s Animal Kingdom (disneyonwheelsblog.com)
According to WDW Magic Disney has renamed the Taste of Africa Event held in the past in the Animal Kingdom to Animal Kingdom’s Sundowner Celebration.
Taking place from June 3 to June 30 2012, you will be able to find special events throughout most areas of the park. The special offerings will begin after the afternoon parade, running through to park close.
Here are some more details from WDW Magic:
Royal Anandapur Tea Company will offer specialty food and beverages, tea brewing and cooking demonstrations, and a cultural dance and street party.
Discovery Islandwill have two bands – “The Island Groove” steel drum group, and “Viva Gala Street Band”. Game activities will be held near to the Flamingos.
Harambe Village will offer specialized works of art, food demonstrations, a Wine Walk and Juice tasting, and a street party with the Tam Tam Drummers and Burudika Band.
If you are at the Animal Kingdom please send us some pictures at email@example.com. We would love to share them with all of the C&C Fans. If you have your own business or website we would be glad to plug it for you in exchange for some pics!
- News! Animal Kingdom’s Sundowner Celebration Will Include Food Demos and Tastings (disneyfoodblog.com)
- Royal Anandapur Tea Company Take Two (disneyonwheelsblog.com)