Welcome to the Chip and Company Disney Week in Review for the week of December 5-11, 2010, my name is Ken and I am one of the writers here at Chip and Company. There has been a lot happening this week on Chip and Co and around the Disney Blog-o-Sphere. From some exciting news about a well loved Downtown Disney attraction to events and views surrounding Disney in general we publish this roundup so you don’t miss out on the best of the Disney News & Views.
- From Anonymouse an exciting rumor about The Adventurer’s Club perhaps re-opening as the new Hyperion Wharf becomes a reality. You should check out the article Disney Confidential – Adventurer’s Club To Re-open At Hyperion Wharf.
- Chip generated quite a few comments with his thoughts on Should Disney Parks Tighten Security? Check it out and please feel free to leave your own thoughts as a comment.
- Mike came up with an extensive and very informative article about his Favorite Disneyworld Parades, Movies, and Stage performances. It has made me re-think some of the things to add to my touring in October, thanks Mike.
- For you parents Disney Television Animation Reels In Second Season Of “Fish Hooks” And New Order For “Gravity Falls” so good news for those Disney XD fans!
- The first time I have ever seen anything like this Which is perfect for those people not on a Disney Dining Plan.
- Loving Disney World – One Generation At A Time from Brenda is a delightful article that demonstrates how a family strengthens it bonds by sharing a common love for Walt Disney World.
- I gave readers a bit of a personal mini rant about the late great wand on Spaceship Earth. I kind of enjoyed the wand and you can find out why by reading I Can’t Help It I Really Liked The Wand.
- If your into Streaming Video and like Chip a huge Netflix fan Netflix and Disney-ABC Television Group Announce Deal to Stream Shows sometimes just days after they air on tv.
- Speaking of entertainment Toy Story and Tangled just got Nominated for 38th Annual Annie Awards! Congrats!
- Top 10 Things To Do At Walt Disney World To Feel Like A Kid Again from Lee gives us some great ideas on how to enjoy Walt Disney World to its fullest and restore a bit of sanity at the same time.
- George (he’s the Lonely Deek you actually see on the screen) gives an excellent DVD review of The Boys, The Sherman Brothers Story. They are the supremely talented artists who gave us some of the best loved Disney music in existence.
- Allie tells us about a restaurant that many of us love but probably just as many of us know nothing about. Her article, Narcoossee’s: A Hidden Gem At Walt Disney World lets you know what to expect at this outstanding Disney Signature Restaurant. It’s one of my favorites Allie and it’s on the list for our next visit.
- Chris celebrates her sweet tooth by comparing a pair of bakeries who cater to those of us going through sugar overload in Cupcake Showdown: Babycakes NYC vs. Starring Rolls.
- Here is an opportunity to be on top of the latest Disney News and Views. Take a look at Have Disney News and Views Delivered To Your Inbox to find out how to do it.
We have a group of very talented writers here at Chip and Co and each week we will try to present their work to keep you informed about what is happening in the world of Disney and help make your vacation planning easier. See you next week.
It’s been a busy year for Santa and his elves preparing for the upcoming holiday season, so he and Mrs. Claus have decided to take a little vacation during the months of November and December and chill out at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin!
Santa says our Heavenly Beds are just the right thing to get him rested up enough for the big flight on Christmas Eve. Mrs. Claus loves the fact that they can pick from so many types of restaurants featuring cuisines from around the world.
Of course, they are looking forward to making some special guest appearances while here! On select days, you will find Santa and Mrs. Claus lighting the Christmas tree in the lobby and hanging out with guests by their special Florida tiki hut. There’s going to be lots of photo opportunities that you won’t find anywhere else, so bring your cameras and get ready to party Florida style with Santa and Mrs. Claus!!!
Enjoy daily holiday cheer with cookie decorating, choir performances and more! Santa and Mrs. Claus will be making appearances with guests and locals alike on the following dates:
- December 3 – 4, 9 – 11, 16 – 19
Rates start from $122 per night. But hurry, rooms are limited so book today to secure our best rates! Call 888-828-8850 or book online now!
Click here to learn more.
For someone that hasn’t been to Walt Disney World very often, there can be a lot of things to decide upon when you are planning your trip. One of the biggest things that people overlook is how to tell your child, wife, or other significant person that you are taking them to Disney World on a vacation! If you are taking your children, one of the greatest things that I have found to “spill the beans” are the . These are special maps that you can order free of charge from the Disney World website once every six months. They are printed with all of your favorites listed for each of the parks, and they come on oversize, durable paper so that you can keep them as a souvenir for years to come. My wife and I gave them to our daughter as a means of telling her we were going when we stayed at Coronado Springs in 2007, and she loved taking the dots and star stickers that came with the maps and putting them on to mark her favorite things that she wanted to try and the resort we were staying at.
There are two designs that you can choose from, the classic design (pictured above) and the character design (shown below). Personally, I prefer the classic design; even though you can’t tell from the image above, the paper reminds me of the type of parchment paper that you would see the location of buried treasure marked on. However, this time around we ordered the character design, which shows a different character for each of the parks. For Magic Kingdom, the character that is shown is Dumbo, for Epcot, Nemo, for Hollywood Studios, Woody, and for Animal Kingdom, Simba. In addition to the style of map you want, you can also select your own favorite locations, or you can choose favorites based on an age range.
In order to order the maps, you do have to have an account at Disneyworld.com. In addition, you need to provide your address so that they can be mailed to you. I’m sorry, but the maps can only be sent to addresses in the United States. However, one thing that you can do if you live outside the US is to print out the maps yourself! This isn’t quite the same feel as getting them in the mailbox, but it’s the next best thing. You can also print them out at home at any time if you are waiting out your six-month window between ordering for home delivery.
If you are looking for a neat, free Disney keepsake, keep the Customized Maps in mind and order a set, even if you don’t have a trip planned yet!
Mike is a Disney Fan from North Carolina. His current project is planning his families trip to Disney World next June. You can also read about Mike’s Disney experiences at My Dreams of Disney.
On this weeks show we give our review of the Disney Cruise Line, the Wonder. We discuss everything you need to know if you are a first time cruiser, or new to a Disney Cruise. Plus the ships are decked out for the Holidays and we talk about those nice Disney extras.
Yes we are still all crazy for cupcakes and talk about Baby Cakes, yet again. Chris had to go to Disney World to try them herself and gives her review and comparison to the Disney Hollywood Studio cupcakes.
Please join us by listening to our show at MouseChat.net or by downloading Mouse Chat from iTunes.
If you like our show, please let your friends know.
You can email questions and comments to the show at: Comments@MouseChat.net
You can also attach an audio question to your email so we can play them on the show.
If we read or play your question on the show you will be entered into our monthly giveaway.
Clickto give it a listen.
Did I mention Chris from Chip and Company is on this podcast?
- Disney Cruise Line: Behind the Magic (chipandco.com)
- Free Dining Offer at Disney World Ends Dec. 20 (chipandco.com)
It’s December so of course Santa Claus and his elves are extremely busy. Still, The Big Man always finds time to visit Walt Disney World, so make sure your little one is ready for a heart-to-heart, or at least a photo.
Here are some places you’re likely to find Santa on Disney property, though if he’s called back to the North Pole, his schedule could change:
** Magic Kingdom: 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (intermittently) daily in Town Square next to City Hall. The Jolly Old Elf also makes an appearance in Mickey’s Once Upon A Christmastime Parade at Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party on select nights.
** Epcot: 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., 4:10 p.m. to 6:10 p.m. and 6:50 p.m. to 8:50 p.m. daily at The American Adventure. Each country in the World Showcase also features storytellers who describe local holiday traditions. In many countries, the storyteller is a representation of Santa, such as Pere Noel in France and Father Christmas in England.
** Downtown Disney Marketplace: noon to 10 p.m. daily at Santa’s Chalet in front of World of Disney. (Santa Paws for Pets is not offered this year.)
Click here to keep reading.
(Photo by Kristin Ford/Orlando Sentinel)
- Best Things I Love About Disney World: Epcot Holiday Storytellers (chipandco.com)
- Celebrating Holiday Magic At Walt Disney World (chipandco.com)