Oldies But Goodies – What Brings Us Back, The Intangibles
In another article I covered the Tangible things; those you can see, feel touch, and do, but here I will look at the more subtle things that go to make up all that is Walt Disney World. Intangibles are those things that are there, you know they are there, you experience them but they are not something you can physically touch. Let’s just take a look at a few of the intangibles that bring us Oldies back again and again!!
- CHEERFUL ATMOSPHERE - I guess us old folks are supposed to be grumpy by nature and perhaps some of us are. There is just something about being at Walt Disney World that brings out the best in us Oldies, makes us feel like kids again. I think a lot of it has to do with the tens of thousands (around 65,000) of Cast Members who seem to be terminally cheerful!! It’s difficult to be cranky when you are surrounded by that much good cheer and that many smiling faces. The photo above really demonstrates this well.
- EXEMPLARY SERVICE – Most folks think service might be a Tangible as opposed to an Intangible but I’m not just referring to the Cast Members who earn a living through service such as restaurant servers, Bell staff etc. The service I’m talking about is the Cast Member who has an assigned task and will interrupt that task to assist guests with something unrelated to what they do and do it like that is their only assigned task. You might notice I didn’t use the word job but rather said assigned task, I think all the Cast Members feel that their job is Exemplary Service and everything else is just an assigned task.
- AMBIANCE - Ambiance, as opposed to a cheerful atmosphere , is that which makes you feel comfortable in your surroundings because you are immersed in your situation and everything about it is just plain right!! Proper ambiance is achieved by intense attention to every detail to make sure it is appropriate for the situation you are in without you realizing it. This attention is obvious everywhere at Walt Disney World from the parks, to the resorts, to the restaurants etc, etc, etc. Thank you Imagineers!!
- NEEDS ARE MET – Many places that you might visit plan for guests without special needs and then make do for those guests who have needs over and above the ordinary. Let’s face it my more chronologically advanced pals, we make up a large portion of the special needs folks. Walt Disney World has made advanced preparations for those folks with virtually any type of requirement. All you need to do is inform a Cast Member of your needs and they will be met.
Intangibles are a bit difficult to describe just because they are the things that make a Walt Disney World experience what it is without being in your face. I try not to spend a lot of time searching them out on our visits, I just let them be there and provide that little extra that keeps this Senior coming back again and again. As always, enjoy your visit to Walt Disney World!!
- Oldies But Goodies – What Brings Us Back, The Tangibles (chipandco.com)
- Oldies But Goodies – Six Things Seniors MUST Do At Walt Disney World (chipandco.com)