There are a lot of us Oldies who love to ride every attraction every time they visit Walt Disney World and I am one of them. I plan on doing this as long as I am physically able. There are, however, lots of things you can do aside from the parks that are not just pleasant diversions but also can bring fun, romance, or excitement to your visit (especially for the Senior crowd, my Peeps!!) Here are just a few that my wife and I have experienced, you pick the ones you want to try!!
- Dinner At Victoria & Albert’s – The premier restaurant at Walt Disney World and arguably in all of Central Florida is Victoria and Albert’s in Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa. No matter which experience you choose you will enjoy a marvelous multi course meal and impeccable service, after all it is a Five Diamond award winner for the last eleven consecutive years. There are basically three different experiences – the Main Dining Room, the Queen Victoria Room, and the Chef’s Table. The number of courses (and of course the price) goes up with each experience. Is it worth it? Absolutely YES!!
- Characters In Flight - This is one of those things a lot of folks might be apprehensive about but really should not be. It is a tethered (which means you won’t drift off to OZ) helium filled balloon that will take you about 400-450 feet above Downtown Disney and allow you to see for miles and miles. I personally have height issues but convinced myself to give it a try and I will be doing it on every visit. The staff is caring and professional and the whole operation abides by the strictest of weather safety rules. Go for it my friends!!
- Illuminations Cruise - Enjoy a leisurely cruise and finish with a “best seat in the house” unobstructed view of Illuminations at Epcot. These cruises are very popular so book it early. One hint, ask your Captain to head for Illuminations about 15 minutes earlier than he/she normally would and you will be right up front to see the show.
- Wishes Fireworks On The Beach At The Polynesian - This is one of two suggestions that is absolutely free. Just catch the Monorail, boat, or bus to the Poly about an hour ahead of time and head for the beach to watch Wishes at the Magic Kingdom across the Seven Seas Lagoon. You get an entirely different perspective of Wishes from that location, it’s beautiful.
- Cirque du Soleil, La Nouba – If you have never seen a Cirque du Soleil show you need to give this one a try. La Nouba recently had their 6000th performance at Walt Disney World and it has just gotten better and better each time we have seen it. You will be absolutely mesmerized by the skills and artistry of the clowns, acrobats, high fliers, jugglers, etc. etc. etc. It is a 90 minute show with no intermission but when the show is complete you simply will not believe 90 minutes has passed by. You have got to see this show!!
- Walking World Showcase After Illuminations – This is not only the other freebie in the list but is one of the most romantic things you can do at Walt Disney World when you do it with the one you love. IMPORTANT- do not join the thundering herd at the entrance to the World Showcase from Future World. They are there not just to see Illuminations but to make sure they are among the first to be able to stand in line to wait for transportation. After you watch the show from somewhere in the World Showcase (hint, try the Italy area) and the crazies are running so they can stand in line just take a leisurely stroll in your favorite direction and enjoy World Showcase as few have seen it – nearly empty!! Very nice and incredibly romantic. Take your time, they won’t kick you out.
Whether you are a lunatic senior like me and ride every attraction you can or you prefer a more laid back approach, try some of these things. I can honestly say you will not be disappointed. As always, enjoy your visit to Walt Disney World!!
- 2012 Walt Disney World Moms Panel Accepting Applications Beginning Sept. 12 (chipandco.com)
- Top Five Places to Hide Out at Walt Disney World. (chipandco.com)