The Disneyland Resort is the Happiest Place on Earth and a wonderful vacation destination. When my family visits Disneyland in Southern California we sometimes like to do non-Disney activities as well. (Gasp! I know) For those of you that want to explore the area and do some fun non-Disney things on your next Disneyland trip, check out my list!
- Universal Studios Hollywood-For an action-packed day (or 2), head over to Universal Studios Hollywood. Located just over an hour away from Disneyland, Universal Studios Hollywood offers thrilling rides and shows, a real working movie studio, and some great shops and restaurants. This year they are even adding The Wizarding World of Harry Potter which opens April 7th.
- Knott’s Berry Farm-Fun is always in season at Knott’s Berry Farm! There’s something for everyone at this theme park; rides for all ages, live entertainment, delicious dining, and a variety of shopping opportunities. Knott’s Berry Farm is also known for its scrumptious boysenberry pie and famous chicken dinner. The park is only about a 20 minute drive from the Disneyland Resort. Some special events happening at the park soon are the Coaster Run on March 6, 2016, the Boysenberry Festival from March 19-April 3, 2016 and the Easter Champagne Brunch on March 27, 2016. Contact me for more information about these events!
- Beach-When vacationing in Southern California, my family loves to take a day to visit the beach! It’s a great, and mostly free, way to relax and take a break from the hustle and bustle of theme parks. Our favorite beach to play at is Huntington Beach. It’s not far from the Disneyland Resort, about a 30-45 minute drive, and offers fun activities and great restaurants.
- LEGOLAND-Located in Carlsbad, California, just over an hour away from the Disneyland Resort, is the LEGOLAND California Resort. Everything is awesome at this resort with 3 parks; the LEGOLAND theme park, LEGOLAND Water Park, and SEA LIFE Aquarium. This is a great resort for families with children ages 2 to 12 and offers more than 60 rides, shows and attractions. The SEA LIFE Aquarium is home to more than 5,000 living creatures and incorporates LEGO models into a child’s voyage to the depths of the ocean. The LEGOLAND Water Park has more than seven slides, sandy beaches and a unique Build-A-Raft River. Also, opening this May is the LEGO Ninjago World. If you have a LEGO lover in your life, be sure to check out this resort!
- SeaWorld-SeaWorld is an entertaining park with lots of fun shows and ways to interact with animals. There are a few rides there as well. They also have some of the best aquariums in San Diego. SeaWorld also rescues sea life and is a big supporter of conservation. Did you know that SeaWorld’s rescue program has benefited more than 25,000 animals? Not only is this park fun and entertaining, it’s educational as well!
- Zoo-If you have younger children, or someone in your family that loves animals, take a day and visit a zoo! There are a few different zoos not far from the Disneyland Resort. The San Diego Zoo is just over an hour and a half from Disneyland and is a great way to spend one of your vacation days. There are so many great experiences at the San Diego Zoo. From Inside Look Tours to Animal Encounters, there’s something for everyone to enjoy!
What are some non-Disney activities you like to do on your Disneyland vacation? Let me know in the comments!
Photo Credit: Leigh Saleh & Kristin Martin
Thank you for visiting Chip and Co - Your home for the best in Disney News!
Latest posts by Sara Solberg (see all)
- Non-Disney Activities to Experience on Your Disneyland Vacation - March 1, 2016
- A First Timer’s Guide: Top Things You Need to Know About Disneyland - February 28, 2016
- A First Timer’s Guide: Top Things You Need to Know About Disney California Adventure - February 25, 2016