A trip to the Most Magical Place on Earth, aka Walt Disney World Resort, awesome as it is, can wear even the most seasoned traveler to the bone. Walking miles a day, waiting in crowded lines, eating delicious meals (ok, that’s not really a problem), basically pushing yourself physically, trying to “do it all,” can really fry the nerves and put a damper on an out-of-this-World vacation.
My family has found that if we don’t spend at least one evening in during our trip, we will have one totally Grumpy day where noone’s happy and everyone’s one edge. It actually took us two or three trips to figure the pattern out. We were always trying too hard to take it all in, to do as much Disney stuff as we possibly could without missing a thing that we just kept on going and going and going…and we’d end up regretting that choice.
But now we are older and wiser and more experienced at “Doing Disney.” Once we accepted the fact that we will never be able to see or do all there is to do at Walt Disney World, we were able to relax and enjoy whatever we could get to. And whatever we missed would wait till our return—and we will return.
Spending the evening in at your resort doesn’t have to be boring. You don’t have to go to bed at 7:00 (unless you really want to!). There are plenty of activities to slow the pace that will not only help everyone in your party to relax but will also rejuvenate their Disney spirit.
So, check your game plan, double-check the Park guides, and make sure there’s no place you need to be, and then…
- Take advantage of the fine eateries onsite. Too often we bypass the fabulous food that’s right around the corner in favor of Park fare, but don’t forget about your resort restaurants. They’re on the Disney Dining Plan!
- Take a dip in the resort pools. Most resorts have small, “quiet” pools in addition to the large main pools for a more relaxing time away from crowds. All are kept at 80º F yearround.
- View an outdoor movie viewing and/or play games, dance, and enjoy other activities near the main pool. Ask for a schedule at the concierge.
- Take a walk, rent a bike, go for a jog, hike a trail, fish from the banks, paddle boat, or ride in a horse-drawn carriage. (Offerings vary by resort.)
- Color Duffy craft stick from Epcot Kidcot Fun Stops.
- Visit Downtown Disney
- Sort pins and/or vinyls and see what you want to trade.
- Download camera pictures onto your computer; clear the memory stick so it’s ready to capture hundreds more memories.
- Charge your camera and cell phone batteries.
- Do laundry.
- Name the geckos.
- Pack things you won’t need for remainder of trip.
- Watch Monday night football. (Or bowl games or whatever’s in season.)
- Go to bed early.
- View fireworks from your balcony. (Not viewable from all resorts.)
- Let your kids play with all the new toys they had to get at World of Disney.
- Hit the arcades. Prove to your kids what a Galaga hero you were.
- Decorate your room window/door.
- Look for hidden Mickeys in the stars 😉
I promise one night away from the Parks will not equal a single moment of magic lost, so take it easy, embrace the down time, and tackle the Parks tomorrow!
For more check out this article from our friend Nancy. Five Fun (and Free) Things to do at Disney World
Jodi Whisenhunt is the author of MAGICAL MOUSE SCHOOLHOUSE: Learn While You Play at Walt Disney World Resort, and operates a blog by the same title. Her book is available for purchase at Amazon, Barnes & Noble and CreateSpace. (Kindle and Nook versions also available.) Come, think outside the textbook and stretch the walls of your home classroom with Walt Disney entertainment!
- Things you can only get at Walt Disney World… (chipandco.com)
- Is Disney’s Wilderness Lodge the Right Resort For You? (chipandco.com)
Thank you for visiting Chip and Co. Be sure to sign up for our Daily Newsletter where we deliver the best in Disney News & Planning Tips to your inbox! You can find us all over the internet at Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+, Tumblr, and even our Tee Public Store! Also don't forget to visit some of our other sites - Disney Addicts where we answer your Disney Questions, the Disney Fashionista is serving up the best in Disney Travel, Fashion, Makeup and More on her site, finally be sure to check out our You Might Be a Disney Addict Facebook Group.
Latest posts by Jodi (see all)
- Boating around the Walt Disney World Resort - May 22, 2014
- 2 New National Wildlife Federation iPad Apps for Kids - April 22, 2013
- Disney’s The Little Mermaid: Diamond Edition Coming to Blu-ray October 1, 2013 - April 21, 2013