When Walt Disney Pictures released “The Muppets” last Thanksgiving, there were lots of reasons for fans like us to celebrate. After all, most of us have watched “The Muppet Show” for decades, have seen the movies and experienced the marvelous madness of Muppet*Vision 3-D at Disney’s Hollywood Studios (which is as much a loving tribute to the original TV show as the recent movie).
Now that “The Muppets” is available on Blu-ray and DVD, we’ve gained one more reason to cheer: last month, the Academy Award for Best Song was awarded to “Man or Muppet” from Walt Disney Pictures’ “The Muppets.” And if you haven’t been keeping a list, this was the very first Oscar awarded to a Muppet project, ever!
It was also the first Oscar for New Zealand-born lyricist/composer Bret McKenzie, who found it an amazing thrill to be part of a distinguished Muppet music legacy, which has earned numerous Grammy and Gold Record awards over the decades. “I wanted to make sure the songs sounded like Muppet songs,” he told us. “So I took on the job of producing them, to make them feel cohesive and to help the film itself hold together sonically.”
You can hear “Man or Muppet” and the other great songs in the new multi-disc “Wocka Wocka” Edition that combines a Blu-ray, DVD, movie download and soundtrack album download in one package.
Be sure to check out my Muppets Bluray Review here
- Wocka Wocka MUPPETS Honored with Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (chipandco.com)
- Hungry for More Muppets?! (chipandco.com)
Latest posts by Chip C (see all)
- Dessert Party Added to Mickey’s No So Scary Halloween Party - August 25, 2014
- New Move it! Shake It! Dance & Play It! Street Party Debuts this fall - August 22, 2014
- Hollywood Studios-Villains Unleashed Guide Map Released - August 21, 2014