Mickey Ears Anyone?
How do you do your Mickey Ears? Do you bring the same pair every visit? Buy new ears every time? I have a confession. One that may get me kicked off this site. I don’t own a pair of Mickey Ears. My first trip to Disney was in my late 20′s and I was too cool for Mickey Ears. After that all my trips have been with my family, so we concentrated on ears for the kids. Now that Disney is firmly implanted in my blood, I may have to break down and get a pair.
There are several headgear options at Disney World. I’ve seen “traditional” hats with every theme imaginable, including Goofy Ears and Chip and Dale heads. There are Mickey Ear hats for weddings, birthdays, holidays and more. Lately the big trend has been headband type Mickey Ears. I suppose this is to convince people like me that its OK to act like a kid in Disney World! The headbands still have the Mickey Ears, but are adorned with different themes. Some are have wedding veils, some light up. The list goes on, and if I know Disney they are coming up with new ears every 5 minutes.
The path we have taken with our oldest son is to do custom ears. In the Magic Kingdom, as you enter you will see Le Chapeau at the entrance to Main Street Shoppes. Here is where you can create custom Mickey Ears for a pretty reasonable price, including embroidery. Here is how it works:
- Pick a blank Mickey hat, without ears. There is a kiosk in the middle of the store with patches of every size. Select the patches to put on your hat. Many are of the Disney characters and some are “First Visit” or “Honeymooners”, etc. You will also find some of the current Pixar characters.
- Once you have selected your patches, remove the sticker backing and place how you would like them on your hat.
- Now for the Ears! Here you have two options. You can buy blank ears and customize with a patch of your choice on each ear. There are also ears already done up with images you can coordinate with your hat base.
- Bring all your pieces to the cash register. Here is where you decide on embroidery and hand the hat base over. After you’ve paid follow your hat into the next room. Hold onto your Ears!
- Cast Members will heat the patches to adhere the glue to your hat base. If you’ve decided on embroidery, it’s also done here.
- Collect your finished hat, snap on the ears and enjoy your custom Mickey Ears.
TIP: To save money, bring your hat base back every trip and buy new ears!
How do you do YOUR Ears in Disney?
- Disney Quick Tips – How to interact with a Disney Addict (chipandco.com)
- T.G.I.F. Pic Of The Week – Hats Galore! (livinginagrownupworld.wordpress.com)