As almost the entire world knows, this coming Monday is the 30th Birthday of Epcot! Happy Birthday Epcot! I was extremely fortunate to be able to be at the 40th Anniversary of Walt Disney World last October 1st, and while I won’t be at Epcot this year, I can really picture the setting in my mind’s eye as if I was there. I thought I would share with you some of the things you might be able to see at Epcot for the anniversary, so take a look at the list and decide if any of them are of interest to you. These special events are being brought to you from the D23 gang, Disney’s Official Fan Club.
- From 1-2PM, Designing the Future – Past and Present: A panel of Disney Imagineers remembers 30 years of building tomorrow!
- 4:30-6:00 pm: Epcot: How it Changed the World with Marty Sklar
- 6:30-8:00 pm: Epcot: How it Changed the World with Marty Sklar
- At 3PM in the America Gardens Theatre, Disney leaders will speak, as well as performances from Mariachi Cobre and the Voices of Liberty.
- Lastly, there will be a special 30th Anniversary edition of Illuminations: Reflections of Earth for you to enjoy!
All of these events are included with your park admission. For the events at Epcot’s World Showplace and America Gardens Theatre, there is limited seating, so if you want to see these, you’ll want to act quickly!
You know, though, for me, the beauty of the day isn’t in the special presentations. The beauty is just being there, experiencing the incredible Disney Magic, and for me, remembering all of the special memories that I have had over the years at the park. Last year, the weather was absolutely incredible. You know how some people swear that Disney has a roof over the Magic Kingdom to prevent bad weather? Well, last year, I could almost believe that was the case because of the incredible weather we had. It was truly a day 40 years in the making, and one that I won’t ever forget. If I were at Epcot on Monday, I would imagine the day to be just like the one last year. I would take advantage of the day to ride my favorite rides, I would enjoy all that the Food & Wine Festival had to offer, I would stroll aimlessly around Epcot’s World Showcase, speaking with total strangers, laughing, and drinking it all in. Most of all, though, I would remember all of the incredible memories I have from that place, such as these five favorites of mine:
- The day we happened into Morocco, and near the back, just happened to come across Princess Jasmine and the Genie! There was no line, and my girl was able to talk to her for about 10 minutes! This was one of my favorite Disney memories of all time!
- One of Sophie’s favorite characters is Donald Duck, and she really enjoys the Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballero’s. One day we were just outside Mexico and were able to speak and get pictures with Donald in his Mexican Outfit. Good times.
- The day last year when we were able to enjoy the Food & Wine Festival. It’s my only time being there for that special event, and it was only one day, but it was a great day, and to top it off, I was able to meet my Sister-in-Christ Brenda, one of my dearest friends!
- Eating at Princess Storybook Dining at Akershus in Norway. We have been there many times, and it is always a favorite of ours. Seeing the Princesses up close is great, they are always so nice to all of us!
- Lastly, I’ll never forget last year in June, when we were in Norway and the kids were at the at the Kidcot Fun Stop. My sister-in-law’s Mom was talking to one of the Norwegian Cast Members and just talking his ear off! It was so funny, but he was a top-notch Cast Member, and he never once showed that he was tired of talking with her!
- Epcot’s 30th Anniversary Event Schedule (chipandco.com)
- WDW: Epcot’s 30th Anniversary Celebration Events Schedule Announced (09-25-2012 10:09 AM) (passporterboards.com)