Cars 3 revs in on DVD and Blu-ray today, and we were lucky to have the opportunity to review it this weekend! In addition to our Cars 3 DVD Blu-Ray review we’ve also got some fun clips to share too! We settled into the pit stop (living-room) with snacks to fuel up on this weekend for a very entertaining ride!
I went into this movie night knowing my son is a huge Cars fan, and that the second movie fell a little flat with him, so I was anxious to see his take on the new film. I honestly have to say by the end of this film, cheers from my child, and a few tears from me, that this was the sequel that Cars deserved.
The story begins with Lightning at the top of his game, racing, and even still having fun with friends. New comers to the racing scene however erode McQueen’s confidence, and other veteran racers begin to leave the track for retirement. After suffering a devastating blow, Lightning begins his recovery with his trusty new trainer Cruz Ramirez, a spunky car with a penchant for elderly jokes. Together they embark on a journey to get back on the track, as McQueen becomes the mentor to Cruz that Doc was to him.
The franchisee finally pays the tribute to Doc that I think we all needed but didn’t realize, and helps update the tone for new kids becoming fans of Cars. McQueen still retains a bit of that selfish attitude that gets him in trouble, but by the end of the film I think he finally matures out of it.
From a child perspective my son’s favorite moments were the demolition derby at Thunder Hollow, and the Florida Race at the end of the film. He also really enjoyed the bonus feature “Miss Fritter’s Racing Skoool” which gave us more from the characters we meet at Thunder Hollow.
This movie got back into what made Cars such a fun ride the first time around, plenty of comedy, but still a lot of heart. The film also didn’t rely on Mater for all of it’s jokes, which made it a huge improvement over Cars 2.
The animation was also top notch, which is one of the things Pixar is quite famous for. My husband actually kept remarking on how incredible and real the water looked in different scenes.
The combo pack included a stadium sized amount of bonus features, and all of them were worth checking out!
Blu-ray & Digital:
- Miss Fritter’s Racing Skoool (Exclusive new mini-movie) – Enjoy blindsided testimonials from the Crazy 8’s, touting the transformative impact Miss Fritter’s Racing School has had in reshaping the direction of their lives
- Theatrical Short: “Lou” – When a toy-stealing bully ruins recess for a playground full of kids, only one thing stands in his way: the “Lost and Found” box.
- Let’s. Get. Crazy. – Get schooled in the world of demolition derby, the “rules” of figure 8 racing, and how Pixar puts the crazy in the Thunder Hollow Crazy 8 race. This piece is hosted by Lea DeLaria.
- Legendary – a close, historical look at the racing legends Wendell Scott and Louise Smith, whose tenacity and perseverance got them into the race even when they weren’t invited.
- Ready for the Race – Disney Channel’s Olivia Rodrigo and NASCAR Racer William Byron check out the Hendrick Motorsports campus to showcase how real-world race training influenced the filmmakers.
- World’s Fastest Billboard – Blink and you will miss all of the graphics and “car-ified” advertisements created by Pixar’s Art team to make the ”Cars 3” world as believable as possible.
- Cruz Ramirez: The Yellow Car That Could – Join Cristela Alonzo and the filmmakers on their journey to create a race-car trainer turned champion racer.
- Generations: The Story of “Cars 3” – For the story team, creating Lightning McQueen’s next chapter didn’t involve just a tune-up, but a complete overhaul.
- My First Car – A collection of illustrated first-car stories as narrated by members of the “Cars 3” cast and crew. “A Green Car on the Red Carpet with Kerry Washington,” “Old Blue,” and “Still in the Family.”
- 5 Deleted Scenes – Each deleted scene is set up with an introduction as to why it was removed from the film. Deleted scenes include “The Boogie Woogie,” “The Jars of Dirt,” “Lugnut,” “The Bolt,” and “More Than New Paint.”
- Cars To Die(cast) For – Take a look at the phenomenon of die-cast toy collecting and the more than 1,000 unique designs that exist in the Cars universe.
- Commentary – Brian Fee (Director), Kevin Reher (Producer), Andrea Warren (Co-Producer) and Jay Ward (Creative Director)
- Theatrical Short: “Lou” & “Commentary”
- #95 by the #s in “Cars 3”
5 – As “Cars 3” gets underway, world-champion racer Lightning McQueen is riding high with five Piston-Cup wins under his hood.
11 – Lightning McQueen raced into moviegoers’ hearts 11 years ago—making his rookie debut in “Cars” in March 2006—and remains an iconic character today.
24 – The dramatic, slow-motion crash scene in which Lightning McQueen hits a wall and rolls several times takes 24 seconds.
95 – Lightning McQueen still sports the dynamic #95 with his signature lightning-bolt graphics. He displays five distinct looks in “Cars 3,” including one that pays homage to his original paint, a primer look he gets following the devastating crash, a custom wrap ordered by Sterling, and more.
198 – Lightning McQueen tops out at a speed of 198 miles per hour on his last lap with Cruz Ramirez on Fireball Beach. But Lightning’s nemesis—next-gen racer Jackson Storm—races at speeds pushing 207 mph.
We really enjoyed the movie, and it’s been on at least once a day since! The great part of the combo pack was the digital code. The code allowed us to save the movie to our Movies Anywhere account so we can watch it anywhere we are!
Thank you for visiting Chip and Co - Your home for the best in Disney News!
Be sure to check out our sister site Disney Addicts, where we feature all the best Disney Planning Tips and more! Or drop by our You Might Be a Disney Addict Facebook group where you can chat about your your home away from home... Disney!
Please note we sometimes get commissions for purchases made through links in our posts.
Latest posts by Danielle L (see all)
- I love this Clever Frozen Inspired Kristoff’s Reindeer Ranch Tee - November 22, 2017
- New Coco MagicBand Just in Time for the New Movie - November 22, 2017
- The Minnie Mouse Cookie Baking Kit is a Sweet Treat - November 21, 2017