Four-race challenge will produce six-medal opportunity for runners; New Walt Disney World 10K expands weekend event to five days; popular Runner’s World Challenge returns
After celebrating its 20th anniversary earlier this year, the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend presented by Cigna is getting even bigger next year and is offering runners another challenge that will be, well, Dopey.
The 2014 Disney Marathon Weekend, Jan. 8-12, will expand to five days and will include a 10K, along with the Family Fun Run 5K, the Disney Half Marathon, the Disney Marathon and Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge. That creates the opportunity for an unparalleled proposition in the running industry: The Dopey Challenge – running all four timed events in successive days (48.6 miles) for the chance to earn an unprecedented six medals.
After the Disney Family Fun Run 5K on Thursday, runDisney’s new alt Disney World 10K, a 6.2-mile timed event, takes place Friday, at Epcot. Runners completing the race will receive a Minnie Mouse inspired medal.
As in past years, the Walt Disney World Half Marathon will be run on Saturday followed by the Walt Disney World Marathon on Sunday. Runners who complete both – Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge – will receive a special Goofy-themed medal. Add on the 5K and the 10K and runners can earn four medals, one for each race completed, plus the Goofy and new Dopey Challenge medals, for a total haul of six medals.
In addition to those four races, the Disney Marathon Weekend will feature runDisney Kids Races and the Mickey Mile, which both take place at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. Special ticketed breakfasts with characters will be Thursday and Friday following the Family Fun Run 5K and 10K at Epcot, Pasta in the Park parties at Epcot and runners can celebrate their accomplishments from the weekend at the Cool Down Party at Downtown Disney on Sunday.
The expanded five-day race weekend begins on Wednesday with the start of Disney’s Health and Fitness Expo, giving runners extra time to pick up race packets, shop for the latest running apparel and technology, and meet experts such as runDisney official training consultant Jeff Galloway and runDisney nutritionist Tara Gidus. The expo is free and open to the public.
Online registration for all Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend events opens April 9, but runners can enter early by signing up for the Runner’s World Challenge starting April 2. This limited opportunity allows runners to register for the Half Marathon, Marathon, Goofy Challenge or Dopey Challenge, receive customized training plans from Runner’s World magazine editors and enjoy VIP experiences throughout weekend.
For more information and to register for Walt Diswww.runDisney.com. If you would like to book a Magical Disney Vacation for this weekend contact me at [email protected]
Schedule of Events
- Disney’s Health and Fitness Expo – Jan. 8 – 11 -ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex
- Disney’s Family Fun Run 5K – Jan. 9, 6:30 am Epcot
- runDisney Kids Races and Mickey Mile – Jan. 9, 10 & 11 – ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex
- Pasta in the Park Parties – Jan. 9, 10 & 11 – Epcot
- runDisney Family Reunion Breakfast – Jan. 9 & 10 – Epcot
- Walt Disney World 10K – Jan. 10, 5:30 am -ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex
- Walt Disney World Half Marathon – Jan. 11, 5:30 am – Epcot
- Walt Disney World Marathon – Jan. 12, 5:30 am – Epcot
- Cool Down Party – Jan. 12 -Downtown Disney
One a side note we, here at Chip and Co. will be putting together a team of awesome “princesses” that will help each other to train, tackle and COMPLETE the Princess Half Marathon on February 23rd, 2014. We will have articles about training ( for avid runners and newbies like me), tips, tricks, nutrition, and you know Chip, there might even be a few surprises up his sleeve. Join us as we challenge ourselves all in the name of the one thing we have in common, our love of Disney.
- The Dopey Challenge is Now Official for the 2014 WDW Marathon Weekend! (runningatdisney.com)
- Disney Princess Half Marathon on tap for Walt Disney World (orlandosentinel.com)
- Tina Fey poses with Snow White at Walt Disney World (chipandco.com)
- Registration Opens for Ultimate Night Out at Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend (chipandco.com)
Thank you for visiting Chip and Co. Be sure to sign up for our Daily Newsletter where we deliver the best in Disney News & Planning Tips to your inbox! You can find us all over the internet at Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and even our Tee Public Store!
DISCLOSURE: I may be an affiliate for products that I recommend on our website. If you purchase those items through my links I will sometimes earn a commission. You will not pay more when buying a product through my link. In fact, I oftentimes am able to negotiate a lower rate (or bonuses) not available elsewhere. Plus, when you order through my link, it helps me to pay for my website, and continue to offer you lots of free stuff. Thank you, in advance for your support!
Latest posts by Erin B (see all)
- Disney Gift Card Transfer Week – Get a FREE Disney Gift Card! - August 21, 2014
- A Celebration of Harry Potter with a magical 3 day event! - August 20, 2014
- You Can Run..You Can Run – Tinkerbell Half Marathon Opens for Registration - August 12, 2014