February 5th marked the 60th anniversary of the release of the classic Disney movie Peter Pan! As a result, Walt Disney Pictures released the movie on Blu-Ray, and I was privileged to be able to review it for Chip and Company! I hope that the words I convey to you in this review are sufficient to make you go right out and purchase the movie, because let me tell you, there are some incredible things that this movie has — especially in the bonus features — that I had never seen before!
Right out of the gate, I saw a really neat feature that I had never experienced before. I was getting ready to watch the movie with my daughter Sophie and her best friend Riley, and Sophie was making a popcorn for us all to enjoy! The movie was about to start, but the popcorn wasn’t ready yet, so I paused it — and when I did so, I got a countdown clock that indicated that, if I didn’t hit play within 10 seconds, we would be taken to special Pirate Training activities!
The special Hidden Treasures that you have access to when you press pause include the following fun activities:
- Fun & Games and Pirate Training!
- Hunt for Peter Pan’s Shadow
- Spot the Doubloon
- Read Smoke Signals
- and more!
The movie itself is just as you would expect it to be. We have probably all seen the movie Peter Pan, and watching the movie in Blu-Ray format really isn’t going to enhance the movie experience (beyond the special touches I just mentioned) very much. What makes this movie worth the purchase, though, is the information that we found in the Bonus Features section of the disk, which contain the following deleted scenes, songs, and a special documentary:
- Deleted Scene: “The Journey Home” — in this alternate ending, you see a sketchboard or cartoon board alternate ending, where Peter Pan asks the Lost Boys to return home with Wendy so they can grow up.
- Deleted Scene: “Alternate Arrival” — in this variation from the movie, Nana accompanies Wendy, John, and Michael to Neverland!
- Deleted Song: “Never Smile at a Crocodile” — this song was originally released in conjunction with the movie’s release, and is a fun song to sing along to!
- Deleted Song: “The Boatswain Song”
- Special Documentary: “Growing Up With Nine Old Men” — more on this further on.
By far, the greatest special feature of the bonus features was the documentary “Growing Up With Nine Old Men”. For those of you that might not know who the Nine Old Men are, that was the collective title of the nine men that worked most closely with Walt Disney in the animation studio. This special documentary was a collection of interviews with the children of the Nine Old Men, and what it was like growing up in their father’s shadows, and some of the classic stories that they had to share. One of the best stories was when some of the boys strung rubber bands from one doorknob across the hall to another doorknob, and proceeded to use it as a slingshot. Their goal — to shoot their toy cars down the hall to hit the door at the very end. Being resourceful lads, they accomplished just that — and when the car hit the door, the door opened up, only to see Walt Disney himself staring down the hallway to look at the kids. Talk about being BUSTED!
It has been my pleasure to share my thoughts about the 60th Anniversary release of Peter Pan. The edition I received was the Diamond Edition, which contains the Blu-Ray, DVD, Digital Copy, and the Storybook App! If you are interested in purchasing your own copy of the movie, you click here for more information from the Disney website!
- Peter Pan: Disney Classics App (chipandco.com)
- Save $5 Off Peter Pan Blu-Ray/DVD Combo Pack (couponingtodisney.com)
Thank you for visiting Chip and Co. Be sure to sign up for our Daily Newsletter where we deliver the best in Disney News & Planning Tips to your inbox! You can find us all over the internet at Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+, Tumblr, and even our Tee Public Store! Also don't forget to visit some of our other sites - Disney Addicts where we answer your Disney Questions, the Disney Fashionista is serving up the best in Disney Travel, Fashion, Makeup and More on her site, finally be sure to check out our You Might Be a Disney Addict Facebook Group.
Latest posts by Mike (see all)
- Top 10 things to experience at Disneyland! - April 1, 2013
- Disney’s Peter Pan Blu-Ray Review - February 11, 2013
- Disney World Challenge – Visiting all 4 parks in one day! - January 28, 2013