Almost every time a group of Disney fans start talking about which park they like the most or spend the most time in, Disney’s Hollywood Studios(DHS) comes up on the short end. I must be one of those few folks who really enjoy and appreciate what this park has to offer that is so often overlooked by so many. No matter what you enjoy about Disney Parks, DHS has it and in many cases more so than the other parks. Think about these things:
- Table Service Restaurants – Only Epcot has more table service restaurants than DHS. DHS has The Hollywood Brown Derby, Mama Melrose’s, The Sci-Fi Dine In, and the 50′s Prime Time Cafe. They also have Hollywood and Vine but since that is a character buffet we won’t count it as table service.
- Signature Restaurants – Sure they count Cinderella’s Royal Table as a signature event and Le Cellier in Epcot has recently been designated Signature for dinner only (personal opinion – undeserved) but The Hollywood Brown Derby is a true Signature restaurant in every sense. Since I have experienced nearly all of the Signatures, it is deserved in my opinion.
- E-Ticket Attractions – Rock ‘n Roller Coaster, Twighlight Zone Tower of Terror, Star Tours and Toy Story Midway Mania and of course that doesn’t count the stage type shows.
- Shows – Something for every taste and way more truly good ones than any other park. They are the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular (sure it’s old but still fun), the American Idol Experience, Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast – Live On Stage, and of course Fantasmic! These are the major shows with some much smaller ones scattered around.
Is Disney’s Hollywood Studios my favorite park? Nope, that’s reserved for Epcot. It is however right up there with the Magic Kingdom but for way different reasons. If you think about it DHS is a bit smaller than the others but it really does have a lot packed into it. It does have some weaker areas; counter service locations are sparse and not all that imaginative and the parade (even the new one) is at best a bit weak but Epcot doesn’t even have a parade. On your next visit, give Disney’s Hollywood Studios a real chance I think if you do you will be very pleasantly surprised. As always, enjoy your visit to Walt Disney World!!
- Disneyworld Planning 101 – Making the best use of time (chipandco.com)
- Walt Disney World Hollywood Studios: The one ride I MUST ride (chipandco.com)