Meet Oscar, the young chimp whose playful curiosity and zest for discovery light up the African forest.
Experience the spectacular imagery and stunning high-definition visuals on Disney Blu-ray™ Combo Pack, Digital & On-Demand August 21, 2012. Disneynature will donate a portion of first-week sales to the Jane Goodall Institute through the “See ‘Chimpanzee,’ Save Chimpanzees” Conservation Program.
On August 21, 2012, Disneynature’s most unforgettable and heartwarming adventure yet, “Chimpanzee,” debuts as a Blu-ray™ Combo Pack (Blu-ray + DVD), Digital and On-Demand viewing. The inspiring film follows the True-Life Adventure of Oscar, a young chimpanzee whose curiosity and zest for life showcase the intelligence and ingenuity of some of the most extraordinary personalities in the animal kingdom.
To celebrate the in-home debut of “Chimpanzee,” Disneynature is proud to continue the “See ‘Chimpanzee,’ Save Chimpanzees” conservation program initiated with the film’s theatrical release. For every purchase of the movie through August 27, 2012, Disneynature will make a donation through the Disney Worldwide ConservationFund to the Jane Goodall Institute (JGI) to conserve chimpanzee habitat, educate the next generation, and provide care for orphaned chimpanzees.
The conservation program tied to the theatrical release will help protect 129,236 acres (202 square miles) of wild chimpanzee habitat through infrastructure investments in the expanded Tchimpounga Nature Reserve in the Republic of Congo (Congo); educate 60,000 schoolchildren about chimpanzee conservation; and provide food and medicine for nearly all of the orphaned chimpanzees at JGI’s Tchimpounga chimpanzee sanctuary for at least the next year.
In addition to the remarkable story filmed in the depths of the African forest, the “Chimpanzee” Blu-ray Combo Pack is filled with spectacular bonus features, including in-depth behind-the-scenes footage showcasing the filmmakers’ amazing efforts to document the making of the film; a music video for the song “Rise,” written and performed by McClain Sisters; a feature on Disney’s conservation legacy; and much more.
From Disneynature, the studio that brought you “Earth,” “Oceans,” and “African Cats,” comes “Chimpanzee” — a remarkable story of individual triumph and family bonds. Journey deep into the African forest and meet Oscar, an adorable young chimp with an entertaining approach to life. The world is a playground for little Oscar and his fellow young chimps who love creating mayhem. His playful curiosity and zest for discovery showcase the intelligence and ingenuity of some of the most extraordinary personalities in the animal kingdom. Stunning hi-definition images bring you up close and personal as Oscar and his family navigate the complex territory of the forest. It’s an inspiring and life-changing adventure that overflows with courage and charm. And it will capture your heart.
- “See ‘Chimpanzee,’ Save Chimpanzees”—This feature details the “See ‘Chimpanzee,’ Save Chimpanzees” conservation program and how for every copy of the film purchased until August 27, 2012, Disneynature will make a donation to JGI to protect chimpanzees today and tomorrow. The feature also includes an interview with Dr. Jane Goodall, DBE, founder of the Jane Goodall Institute and UN Messenger of Peace.
- Disney’s Friends for Change—This feature highlights Disney’s Friends for Change, a program that showcases steps that kids and families can take to make a positive impact on the world and the people and animals that live there.
- Disney’s Conservation Legacy—This feature provides a look at the conservation efforts that Disney sponsors around the world.
- Everything on the DVD, plus …
- ON LOCATION: THE MAKING OF “CHIMPANZEE” is a series of exciting short features that delve further into the incredible lengths the filmmakers went to tell the story of Oscar and his chimpanzee family.
~30 Years in the Making—The story of the team of researchers who have been observing chimpanzees in the Ivory Coast for 30 years.
~The Heart of the “Chimpanzee”—A behind-the-scenes look at how and why the film was made.
~Piece of the Puzzle—A cameraman’s two-hour daily trek through the forest to get to the chimpanzees.
~Don’t Blame the Tool—An observation of the chimpanzees’ daily lives and how they use rocks as tools to prepare their food.
~Scar’s Army—An inside look at the struggles between the film’s two rival chimpanzee groups who share the same forest home.
~Camp Invaders—A featurette on all the creepy, crawly creatures found at the filmmakers’ forest camp.
~Forest of Bees—A feature detailing how the crew spent two days wading through a sea of bees that inhabited their filming location in order to capture 20 seconds of footage.
- “Rise” Music Video—A music video featuring Hollywood Records recording artists McClain Sisters who wrote and performed the inspirational song that plays during the film’s end credits.
- Behind the Scenes of “Rise”—An inside look at McClain Sisters music video shoot.
- “See ‘Chimpanzee,’ Save Chimpanzees”
- Disney’s Friends for Change
- Disney’s Conservation Legacy
- “Rise” Music Video
- ON LOCATION: THE MAKING OF “CHIMPANZEE”
- 30 Years in the Making
- The Heart of the “Chimpanzee”
Street Date: August 21, 2012
Direct Prebook: June 26, 2012
Distributor Prebook: July 10, 2012
Suggested Retail Prices: Blu-ray Combo Pack (Blu-ray + DVD) = $39.99 U.S. and $46.99 Canada
Digital and On-Demand = For additional information and pricing, consumers should contact their favorite digital retailer or television provider.
Feature Run Time: Approx. 78 Minutes
Rating: G (U.S. and Canada); Bonus Features not rated
For fun “Chimpanzee” crafts and educational resources, check out CHIMPANZEE Crafts and Activities or visit Magical Mouse Schoolhouse, where Disney IS school!