I learned a lesson in 2009, unless you normally carry a backpack in your day to day life don’t make Walt Disney World your first shot at carrying one all day. It actually gets painful later in the day when you carry that extra weight on your shoulders.
In a family group traveling to Walt Disney World there always seems to be one person selected to be the “pack mule”. If this person is normally a back pack person that’s fine but that isn’t the case in most instances. Here are a few of the things we do to spare the “pack mule”.
- Be a minimalist and carry only what you might actually need during the day.
- Try to find lighter weight versions of what you would normally carry. Example – if you you use a monopod to steady your camera try a plastic “shooting stick” that gun fanciers use to steady rifles when target shooting. They are available at Wal~Mart for around $10 and the gun rest comes off revealing a camera screw mount. They actually work better because they are strong, lightweight, and taller than a standard monopod.
- Don’t carry a bunch of bottles of water. There are plenty of water fountains available and if you don’t like the taste of Florida water take some Crystal Light On The Go packets. Have one water bottle for each person that they can refill (and also they can carry).
- Be generous, share the load. Allow other family members the opportunity to carry a portion of the supplies. Remember, most younger family members carry a back pack to school every day. It’s like a body part for them.
- If you still have issues with soreness revert to a fanny pack. They aren’t super stylish but they put the load on your hips rather than your shoulders.
There are probably dozens of other things you can do but I just wanted to get you thinking about it so you wouldn’t have to put up with the sore shoulders that I suffered in 2009. As always, enjoy your visit to Walt Disney World!!
Be sure to check out our sister site Disney Addicts, where we feature all the best Disney Planning Tips and more! Or drop by our You Might Be a Disney Addict Facebook group where you can chat about your your home away from home... Disney!
Latest posts by Ken (see all)
- Oldies But Goodies – Seniors And The Walt Disney World Attractions - May 9, 2014
- Disney World Quick Tips – Advanced Dining Reservation Tips - March 9, 2012
- Disney World Quick Tips – Ten FREE Things To Do At Disney World - February 21, 2012