There are several new attractions lined up to debut at Disney World in the next few years. Pandora – The World of Avatar’s opening this past May is just the tip of the iceberg on things to come at Disney World as they gear up for their 50th Anniversary Celebration in 2021. With all of the new additions also comes the need for new and improved roads for the Resort.
Reedy Creek Improvement District, the Disney-controlled taxing district that brings government resources to Disney World, is in the middle of working on $800 million worth of road construction projects. These projects began in 2013 and have a completion date of 2020. For comparison sakes, Reedy Creek usually works on about $5 million to $10 million in projects each year.
Here are some of the projects currently being worked on:
- New parking garage for Disney Springs: Construction on the $107 million garage is scheduled to being in October. The new garage will be located across Buena Vista Drive from Disney Springs and will be able to park 3,000 vehicles. The new garage is projected to open in 2019.
- A new entrance to Hollywood Studios: The addition of the new Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in 2019 will lead to a new Hollywood Studios entrance. The new entrance is part of the $196 million construction project on Oscoeloa Parkway interchange between Hollywood Studios and the ESPN Complex. The new entrance should be open by 2018.
- Flyover near the Magic Kingdom Entrance: The $65 million flyover is being built to help alleviate congestion and make it easier to get to the Magic Kingdom and the Magic Kingdom Resorts from World Drive. The new flyover is scheduled to be open by 2018.
- Epcot Center Drive interchange construction: The $96 million project is supposed to wrap up by the end of this year.
Even though the construction can be a pain to deal with at times, it will payoff in the end when getting around Disney World is a whole lot easier!
Let’s start planning your visit to Disney World! CLICK HERE, fill out the form below, or send an email for a FREE, no obligation quote with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner. I offer rate monitoring to ensure you are receiving the best available rate offered by Disney and my services are 100% FREE!
As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to help you with everything from finding your perfect package to nabbing those hard-to-get dining and FastPass reservations. I work with all Disney Destinations. Best of all, my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.954.401.9577, via email at MickeyTravelsHolly@gmail.com, or follow along on Facebook.
Thank you for visiting Chip and Co - Your home for the best in Disney News!
Latest posts by Holly R (see all)
- Ellen’s Animatronic From Universe of Energy is Going to the Auction Block - April 19, 2018
- Celebrate Animal Kingdom’s 20th Anniversary with A Tasty Treat! - April 19, 2018
- Disneyland Announces Two Job Fairs - April 18, 2018