Prior to leaving for your trip to Disney World a trip to the Dollar Store may be in order. There are a few things that are worth picking up at the dollar store that will come in handy on your trip. I am a dedicated Dollar Store shopper and I cannot even begin to add up how much we have saved by buying some items here instead of at the park. You will be surprised by the items you can find including some Disney themed toys and games! Let me show you a few things we have found at the dollar store that would have cost us 10-20 times as much in the parks and resorts!
- Rain Poncho– On our last trip they were selling ponchos outside of Kali River Rapids for $12.00 a pop! You can buy these at the dollar store and then toss them out if you want. Now, in my humble opinion you should avoid wearing rain gear on the water rides as half the fun is getting soaked, but to each their own! It does rain a lot in Florida so having cheap rain gear is a good idea.
- Glow Sticks– Buy these fantastic things at the dollar store and you will awe your kids during parades without having to buy the insanely priced glow toys at the parks.
- Disney Toys– If you have a 5 Below store near you I have always found little Disney toys there. Mickey Ornaments, Donald figurines and Minnie art projects. These are great little things to stuff into your suitcase and give to kids at the end of the day. They are perfect rewards and you can tell the kids that Mickey left them!
- Wisp Mini Brush Ups– These are great to pack in your carry on. They are little disposable tooth brush toothpaste combos. I love having them to take care of that stale airplane breath you get from flying. This way you don’t have to pack a big tube of paste and a brush and go searching for a sink after your flight. Just open the pack, brush and go! Of course, I still recommend packing a normal brush and paste in your checked baggage.
- Princess Tiaras– These little beauties will be certain to win you the parent of the day award and save you substantial money. Give them to your little princess before leaving for the parks for the day. I have friends who used Dollar Store tiaras and their girls were stopped by other girls who had been to the Bibbidy Bobbidi Boutique, to ask where they go there pink fuzz lined tiaras! Now that’s a huge savings!
- Aspirin– You will use it! I cannot tell you how many aspirin I go through on vacation. I use it for my aching feet and my inevitable sunburns. Last time I was there I forgot my aspirin and ending up buying it in the hotel gift shop. I paid close to ten dollars for a very small bottle.
- Sharpie Markers– You will not find cheaper sharpies than at the Dollar Store. These are fabulous for autograph books. You will find them in a variety of colors and styles.
- Travel Sized Hand Sanitizer– Think about how many people are at Disney World each day. Now think of how many of them touched the same railing as you in the line for Soarin’. Needless to say it is a good idea to keep some hand sanitizer handy. It is not fun to catch a bug while on vacation.
- Heel Grips– These things are amazing. Stick them in your shoes to reduce friction and thus reduce blistering. For a dollar you really cannot go wrong!
- Flavored drink mixes– You can buy boxes of individual drink mix pouches at the dollar store. Last time I left with fruit punch and iced tea flavored drink mix pouches. Use these in your water bottles to make fountain water a bit more palatable. It is important to keep hydrated, but if you’re like me that Disney water is just not that great tasting. Buying countless drinks at Disney is just too expensive and this is a great way to keep your budge it check. A bottle of water at Disney World will run you about 2.50. A box of 6-10 drink mixes will only cost you a buck. You do the math!
Those are my top ten dollar store buys. Do you shop at the dollar store or similar bargain outlet? What are some dollar store buys you would recommend to someone shopping for their upcoming Disney vacation?
- Avoid Adult Meltdowns By Toting These 5 Items To The Parks! (chipandco.com)
- Top 5 Ways to Beat the Heat at Disney World (chipandco.com)
Thank you for visiting Chip and Co. Be sure to sign up for our Daily Newsletter where we deliver the best in Disney News & Planning Tips to your inbox! You can find us all over the internet at Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+, Tumblr, and even our Tee Public Store! Also don't forget to visit some of our other sites - Disney Addicts where we answer your Disney Questions, the Disney Fashionista is serving up the best in Disney Travel, Fashion, Makeup and More on her site, finally be sure to check out our You Might Be a Disney Addict Facebook Group.
Latest posts by Jess (see all)
- Visiting Walt Disney World Solo - January 14, 2015
- The Disney Royal Treatment – A Look at Port Orleans Riverside - September 18, 2013
- What to Pack in your Carry On Bag - August 5, 2013