Disney Publishing Worldwide will launch today the first original app by three-time Caldecott Honor winner Mo Willems. “Don’t Let the Pigeon Run this App!”is now available from the App Store on the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. The unique, interactive app features author Mo Willems as the voice of the curious and determined Pigeon and invites children everywhere to create one-of-a-kind Pigeon stories using their imaginations as they add their own voices and drawings to the fully animated app.
The long list of things the Pigeon can’t do—drive the bus, stay up late, eat a hot dog—grows and grows, as children decide what the hilarious Pigeon will try to do next. Willems played a lead role in the design, writing, voicing, and illustrating of the app. The author gives voice to the Pigeon and, in the app’s drawing tutorial, Willems guides children in the exploration and illustration of their own pigeons. With kids in creative control, each time they play the app brings new surprises and an enriching reading and playtime experience.
“Interactivity has always been a key to the Pigeon books,” said Willems. “‘Don’t Let the Pigeon Run This App!’ takes that interactivity to the point where the child is not only the audience, but the author as well. I can’t wait to see what awesome ideas kids will come up with. They’re going to put the Pigeon through the wringer!”
Features of “Don’t Let the Pigeon Run This App!” include:
- A fully animated storytelling experience inspired by the award-winning children’s book series;
- A starring appearance by the Pigeon, voiced by Mo!;
- Three unique storytelling modes so that readers can enjoy limitless one-of-a-kind Pigeon stories;
- Read-along option;
- Ability to personalize the content with readers own voice;
- Shake the Pigeon to start the stories;
- A Pigeon drawing tutorial with Mo;
- “Favorite stories” section where readers can create their own personal libraries.
- Disney to Publish ‘The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?’ by Mo Willems in April 2012 (chipandco.com)
- Hottest Halloween App for Kids: “Mickey’s Spooky Night Puzzle Book” (chipandco.com)