Category Archives: Walt Disney World
One small change by Walt Disney World Cast Members has the potential to save enough electricity to power more than one thousand homes for a year.
Disney Cast Members are retrofitting more than 1000 theatrical spotlights and floodlights around the resort with more efficient and longer-lasting light fixtures. Some of the fixtures include LED (light emitting diode) lights which can be 330% more efficient than other lights. For example, a 575-watt spotlight may be replaced with 70-watt LED light that puts out the same light equivalent.
Some of the attractions slated to “lighten up” include Gran Fiesta Tour, Living with the Land, Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith, Test Track, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Snow White’s Scary Adventure and many more. Engineers estimate this one small change will save more than 2.5 million kilowatt hours annually, which is enough to power to light 1135 homes for a year.
Walt Disney World Resort recently intensified efforts to embed environmental stewardship into the decisions and actions of Cast Members and guests through a series of science-based programs and policies. The efforts include effectively managing resources through energy management, water conservation and waste minimization.
IN THE SPOTLIGHT – April 26 through May 7 – 2010
Now Through May 16
- 17th Annual Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival: Guests can celebrate the Great Outdoors and get a head start on the gardening season as they explore exhibits and activities geared toward discovery and outdoor fun through May 16. There are activities for the entire family, experts to answer gardening questions and nearly 100 expertly crafted topiaries — including a new American Gothic Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse. More info: disneyworld.com/flower
Now Through May 16
- Flower Power Concert Series: Popular bands will rock the open-air America Gardens Theatre at Epcot every Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 5:15, 6:30 and 7:45 p.m. through May 16.
- April 23, 24, 25-Atlanta Rhythm Section playing at the America Gardens Theatre at 5:15, 6:30 and 7:45 p.m.
- April 30-May 2: Fran Cosmo
- May 7: Davy Jones
EVENTS & ACTIVITIES
- MAGIC KINGDOM
- “Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It!” Street Party: 11 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 5:40 p.m.
- Celebrate A Dream Come True Parade: 3 p.m.
- Wishes Fireworks: May 2-3: 10 p.m.; May 4-5: 9 p.m.; May 6: 10 p.m.; May 7: 9 p.m.
- SpectroMagic: May 2-3: 9 p.m.; May 6: 9 p.m.
- DISNEY’S HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS
- Block Party Bash: 3 p.m.
- Fantasmic!: April 30: 8:30 p.m.; May 1-2: 9 p.m. & 10:30 p.m.; May 5: 9 p.m. & 10:30 p.m.
- IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth: 9 p.m.
- DISNEY’S ANIMAL KINGDOM
- Mickey’s Jammin’ Jungle Parade: 3:45 p.m.
- ESPN WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS COMPLEX April 30-May 2
- AAU Girls’ Basketball Spring Fling
- Disney’s Slo-Pitch Slam
- AAU Boys’ Basketball
- Downtown Disney West Side – House of Blues presents . . .
- April 28 – 30 Seconds to Mars
- April 29 – Band of Horses with Josh Roberts and The Hinges
- April 30 – Ben Harper with Relentless7
- May 1 – Raheem Devaughn
- May 2 – HIM with We Are The Fallen, Dommin and Drive-A
- May 7 – Kenny “Babyface” Edmonds
- Showcasing floats and characters appearing at Walt Disney World Resort for the first time, Disney’s “Main Street Electrical Parade” returns with its joyous sights and sounds. Direct from Disneyland Resort and marking its first engagement in Florida since 2001, the cherished parade will be led by Tinker Bell waving from the basket of a magical balloon aboard a new float. Pinocchio and Snow White join the parade this summer aboard bright new floats. Disney’s “Main Street Electrical Parade” is set for its summer-long nighttime premiere June 6 at Magic Kingdom.
- The Twilight Zone™ Tower of Terror at Disney’s Hollywood Studios welcomes “drop-ins” this summer with even more pulse-racing surprises. New lighting effects created especially for “Summer Nightastic!” will bring unexpected frights to guests who step into that infamous service elevator … if they dare.
- “Summer Nightastic!” also means music! In the courtyard of Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, “Rock N’ Glow Dance Party” will have guests wanting to “trip the light fantastic” to sizzling summer sounds being spun by DJs. And at Epcot, the Sounds Like Summer Concert Series returns (June 12-July 31) with bands playing musical tributes to artists who filled summers gone by with musical magic.
- What could be more summery than fireworks on a star-studded night? Magic Kingdom will treat guests to “Summer Nightastic Fireworks Spectacular,” filling the night sky with vivid colors and brilliant visual effects while whimsical music fills the air.
Visa Rewards cardholders can take advantage of an exclusive offer for stays most nights March 14 – Oct. 2 2010. Purchase a 3-night/4-day Magic Your Way vacation package that includes room, themepark tickets & the Quick-Service Dining Plan, a child (ages 3-9) can stay, get 4-day theme park tickets & the Quick-Service Dining Plan for FREE!
Booking window extended until June 30. There are a limited number of packages available at this rate. Contact Pixie Vacations to book this package today.
Must book by: June 30, 2010
Travel dates: March 14 – Oct. 2, 2010
It seems that there will be a magical transformation to occur at the upcoming Beauty and the Beast Inspired Restaurant that is apart of the Fantasyland Expansion.
Not unlike its magical transformation of a frog into a princess or a beast into a prince, the Disney wizards plan to conduct a daily metamorphosis of its planned 552-seat Be Our Guest restaurant from a casual, quick-service lunch spot into an elegant, full-service dinner experience. The multi-purpose establishment will be themed to the film, Beauty and the Beast, and will be located in the Beast’s Castle, part of the Fantasyland expansion at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom. The new Fantasyland attractions are scheduled to open in 2012 and 2013.
Disney will test the quick-change, dual-purpose restaurant concept with the expanded Cantina de San Angel, now under construction at the Mexico Pavilion at Epcot.
We are looking forward to both restaurants. If you have been visiting the site for any length of time you will know that San Angel Inn is one of my favorite restaurants. I would love to be there for the grand opening but I will just have to settle for pictures and video as we get ever closer to that date.
What do you think about this new Dining Experience? Let us know in the comment section below.