Category Archives: News
And the Series’ Emmy-Winning Eric Stonestreet and Castmate Sof’a Vergara Receive Their First Ever Golden Globe Nominations
The ABC Television Network’s “Modern Family,” the Emmy Award-winning hit comedy series that takes an honest and often hilarious look at the complexities of modern day families, received its second straight Golden Globe Award nomination for Best Television Series — Comedy or Musical. The series has also been recently honored with an AFI Award as one of the Top 10 television programs of 2010, in addition to three Writers Guild Awards nominations, including Best Comedy Series, and a Peabody Award recognition earlier this year.
In addition to “Modern Family’s” comedy series recognition, two of its actors were also recognized: Emmy Award-winning co-star Eric Stonestreet was a first-time nominee for Best Performance by a Supporting Actor in a Series, Mini-Series or TV Movie, along with castmate Sof’a Vergara, who received her first nomination for Best Performance by a supporting Actress in a Series, Mini-Series or TV Movie.
The 68th Annual Golden Globe Awards will be presented Sunday, January 16, 2011 in Los Angeles.
As part of its ongoing efforts to stop bogus health claims, the Federal Trade Commission has reached a settlement requiring major marketers of children’s vitamins to stop making false and unproven claims that their supplements promote healthy brain and eye development in children. The companies have agreed to pay $2.1 million to provide refunds to consumers who purchased certain multivitamins in their Disney and Marvel Heroes line.
The FTC charged NBTY, Inc. and two subsidiaries, NatureSmart LLC and Rexall Sundown, Inc., with making deceptive claims about the amount of DHA – an Omega-3 fatty acid – used in their line of Disney- and Marvel Heroes-licensed children’s multivitamin gummies and tablets. The companies also made unsupported claims that a daily serving of the products promotes healthy brain and eye development in children, according to the FTC administrative complaint.
Sold by major retailers such as CVS Pharmacy, Wal-Mart, Target, Walgreens, Kroger, Kmart, Meijer, and Rite Aid, as well as online, the multivitamins featured characters such as the Disney Princesses, Winnie the Pooh, Finding Nemo, and Spider-Man. Product packaging and print ads promoting the vitamins had bold graphics highlighting that the products contained DHA, but in reality, the products allegedly had only a trace amount of DHA. While the vitamins’ packaging touted the purported health benefits of 100 milligrams of DHA, a daily serving of the Disney and Marvel multivitamins for children ages four years and older contained only one thousandth of that amount (0.1 mg or 100 mcg), according to the FTC’s complaint.
The FTC alleged that the packaging and ads for the Disney and Marvel multivitamins misrepresented that they contained a significant amount of DHA, and that NBTY, NatureSmart, and Rexall Sundown made unsubstantiated claims that the amount of DHA provided by the multivitamins promotes healthy brain and eye development in children.
- bars NBTY, NatureSmart, and Rexall Sundown from misrepresenting the amount of any ingredient contained in any product.
- bars them from misrepresenting that any ingredient, including DHA, promotes brain or eye health or provides any other health benefit, unless the claim is true and backed by competent and reliable scientific evidence.
- specifies that any violations could subject the NBTY, NatureSmart, and Rexall Sundown to civil penalties.
A refund program to distribute the $2.1 million to purchasers of the Disney and Marvel multivitamins will be administered by the FTC. The agency will reach out to affected consumers in the coming months.
The FTC vote to approve the administrative complaint and proposed consent order was 5-0. The FTC will publish an announcement regarding the proposed consent order in the Federal Register shortly. The proposed consent order will be subject to public comment for 30 days, beginning today and continuing through January 14, 2011, after which the FTC will decide whether to make it final. Consumers can file a online. Copies of the complaint, the proposed consent agreement, and an analysis of the agreement to aid in public comment are available from both the FTC’s website at http://www.ftc.gov and the FTC’s Consumer Response Center, Room 130, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Washington, DC 20580.
NOTE: The Commission issues an administrative complaint when it has reason to believe that the law has been or is being violated, and it appears to the Commission that a proceeding is in the public interest. The complaint is not a finding or ruling that the respondents have actually violated the law. A consent order is for settlement purposes only and does not constitute an admission by the respondents of a law violation. When the Commission issues a consent order on a final basis, it carries the force of law with respect to future actions. Each violation of such an order may result in a civil penalty of up to $16,000.
The Federal Trade Commission works for consumers to prevent fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices and to provide information to help spot, stop, and avoid them. To file a complaint in English or Spanish, visit the FTC’s online Complaint Assistant or call 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357). The FTC enters complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to more than 1,800 civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad. The FTC’s website provides free information on a variety of consumer topics.
- FTC Settlement Prohibits Marketers of Children’s Vitamins from Making Deceptive Health Claims about Brain and Eye Development (ftc.gov)
For the many fans eagerly awaiting Disney‘s TRON: Legacy, the national launch on December 17th cannot come soon enough. Philips Norelco is here to help. When it comes to shaving, ‘The Game Has Changed’ with the recent launch of the SensoTouch 3D; Philips Norelco’s most advanced shaver yet. Now, Philips Norelco has collaborated with Disney so that lucky fans in 16 U.S. cities can enjoy a great 3D experience and download complimentary passes for an advance screening of TRON: Legacy at www.3DShave.com/TRON.
TRON: Legacy is a 3D action-packed adventure set in a digital world unlike anything captured on the big screen. Advance screenings on December 13, 14 and 15 will take place in the following 16 cities: Atlanta, Bentonville/Rogers, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Ft. Lauderdale/Miami, Houston, Los Angeles, Minneapolis/Apple Valley, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix/Tempe, San Francisco, Seattle, and Washington D.C.
The 3DShave.com/TRON site engages visitors with entertaining games and a sweepstakes for a chance to win $10,000 for a 3D Home Theater upgrade. Additionally, visitors who have purchased the SensoTouch 3D and have also bought tickets to TRON: Legacy can download a $30 mail-in rebate form anytime between November 22, 2010 and January 31, 2011. Visitors who submit the completed form along with their ticket stub(s), proof of purchase and product UPC will receive the $30 rebate.
“We’re excited to work with Disney to offer fans an incredible first look at TRON: Legacy in 3D,” said Jacopo D’Alessandris, Vice President of Marketing Philips Norelco, North America. “With the introduction of the Norelco SensoTouch 3D, we’ve created our most technologically advanced electric shaver, and through our promotion, we are inviting people to see how ‘The Game Has Changed’ as the ultimate 3D shaving experience meets the ultimate 3D movie experience. It’s the perfect collaboration.”
Most Advanced Shave Yet
The new Philips Norelco SensoTouch 3D line of shavers combines Philips Norelco’s expertise in shaving with the latest skin technology to deliver the ultimate shave experience. GyroFlex 3D offers three-dimensional contouring that adjusts seamlessly to every curve of the face and neck, combining with UltraTrack heads and SkinGlide to answer the demands of today’s style-conscious men for an exceptionally close shave that leaves the skin ultra smooth. The suggested retail price for the lineup of SensoTouch 3D shavers is $199-$349.
Welcome to the Chip and Company Disney Week in Review for the week of December 5-11, 2010, my name is Ken and I am one of the writers here at Chip and Company. There has been a lot happening this week on Chip and Co and around the Disney Blog-o-Sphere. From some exciting news about a well loved Downtown Disney attraction to events and views surrounding Disney in general we publish this roundup so you don’t miss out on the best of the Disney News & Views.
- From Anonymouse an exciting rumor about The Adventurer’s Club perhaps re-opening as the new Hyperion Wharf becomes a reality. You should check out the article Disney Confidential – Adventurer’s Club To Re-open At Hyperion Wharf.
- Chip generated quite a few comments with his thoughts on Should Disney Parks Tighten Security? Check it out and please feel free to leave your own thoughts as a comment.
- Mike came up with an extensive and very informative article about his Favorite Disneyworld Parades, Movies, and Stage performances. It has made me re-think some of the things to add to my touring in October, thanks Mike.
- For you parents Disney Television Animation Reels In Second Season Of “Fish Hooks” And New Order For “Gravity Falls” so good news for those Disney XD fans!
- The first time I have ever seen anything like this Which is perfect for those people not on a Disney Dining Plan.
- Loving Disney World – One Generation At A Time from Brenda is a delightful article that demonstrates how a family strengthens it bonds by sharing a common love for Walt Disney World.
- I gave readers a bit of a personal mini rant about the late great wand on Spaceship Earth. I kind of enjoyed the wand and you can find out why by reading I Can’t Help It I Really Liked The Wand.
- If your into Streaming Video and like Chip a huge Netflix fan Netflix and Disney-ABC Television Group Announce Deal to Stream Shows sometimes just days after they air on tv.
- Speaking of entertainment Toy Story and Tangled just got Nominated for 38th Annual Annie Awards! Congrats!
- Top 10 Things To Do At Walt Disney World To Feel Like A Kid Again from Lee gives us some great ideas on how to enjoy Walt Disney World to its fullest and restore a bit of sanity at the same time.
- George (he’s the Lonely Deek you actually see on the screen) gives an excellent DVD review of The Boys, The Sherman Brothers Story. They are the supremely talented artists who gave us some of the best loved Disney music in existence.
- Allie tells us about a restaurant that many of us love but probably just as many of us know nothing about. Her article, Narcoossee’s: A Hidden Gem At Walt Disney World lets you know what to expect at this outstanding Disney Signature Restaurant. It’s one of my favorites Allie and it’s on the list for our next visit.
- Chris celebrates her sweet tooth by comparing a pair of bakeries who cater to those of us going through sugar overload in Cupcake Showdown: Babycakes NYC vs. Starring Rolls.
- Here is an opportunity to be on top of the latest Disney News and Views. Take a look at Have Disney News and Views Delivered To Your Inbox to find out how to do it.
We have a group of very talented writers here at Chip and Co and each week we will try to present their work to keep you informed about what is happening in the world of Disney and help make your vacation planning easier. See you next week.
Among the exciting offerings for 2011 are exclusive D23 Studio Tours throughout the year, four free 50 and Fabulous film screenings on the Walt Disney Studio Lot in Burbank, D23’s Great Disney Scavenger Hunt: Walt Disney World, the highly anticipated Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th, the perennial favorite Sip & Stroll event during the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival, a D23/Disney Junior Jake and the Never Land Pirates event on the Burbank Studio Lot for the budding Disney fan, the festive Magic and Merriment event at the Walt Disney World Resort to kick off the holiday season and, of course, D23 Expo 2011.
D23 Members receive advance notification of all special events through D23’s biweekly FanFare email, and all events are offered on a space-available basis. More details on events, and on becoming a D23 Member, can be found at www.D23.com.
SAVE THE DATES!
D23’s 2011 special event lineup includes:
January 29: Special preview screening of Jake and the Never Land Pirates featuring David Arquette
D23 is partnering with Disney Junior — Disney Channel’s new broadcast initiative designed for kids ages 2 through 7 – inviting D23 Members to bring their young swashbucklers for an advance screening of two episodes of Jake and the Never Land Pirates, a new animated series coming to television this February.
David Arquette is the voice of Skully, the parrot who keeps an eye out for Jake and his crew of kid pirates as they navigate the familiar waters of Never Land while dodging the devious Captain Hook and Mr. Smee.
Following the screening of the two 11-minute episodes, Arquette will sit down for a Q&A with D23’s Disney Geek, Jeffrey Epstein, and will also take questions from the audience. Afterwards, the villainous Captain Hook will be available for photos and autographs in front of the Studio Theatre.
May 12-13: D23’s Great Disney Scavenger Hunt: Walt Disney World
In spring 2011, for the first time in the 40-year history of Walt Disney World, guests will have the chance to scour all four Florida theme parks to win incredible prizes in this official Disney scavenger hunt. Each team will consist of 2-4 participants, and additional rules and registration information will be available soon at the D23 Web site.
May 14-15: Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th
Following the rave reviews of Destination D: Disneyland ’55, this event will celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Orlando resort, commemorating its history and heritage. Panels will include all-new presentations that build upon the successful panels at the Anaheim event, including:
- “Walt Disney World: The Way We Were,” hosted by Disney Legend Dave Smith
- “Weird Disney World” with Walt Disney Archives Director Becky Cline
- “Walt Disney World Through the Eye of Television”
- A special evening event featuring musical memories from throughout the history of Walt Disney World
Other panels, featured speakers and details will be announced soon on the D23 Web site.
August 19-21: D23 Expo 2011 in Anaheim, California
Affectionately dubbed “The Ultimate Fan Event” by Disney enthusiasts, the D23 Expo brings the entire world of Disney under one roof, providing attendees with unprecedented access to Disney films, television and theme parks as never before. An event that only occurs every other year, this is the first D23 Expo since the premiere event in 2009.
Highlights of D23 Expo 2011’s weekend activities will include:
- 2011 Disney Legends. Paying tribute to the talented men and women who have made indelible contributions to Disney entertainment
- Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives. Featuring dozen of props, artifacts and costumes, accessible to the public for the first time in Disney’s history
- Collector’s Forum. Where attendees can buy, sell and trade precious memorabilia and merchandise
- Fan Art Contest. Themed to 101 Dalmatians in honor of the 50th anniversary of the animated classic
- The Ultimate Disney Trivia Tournament will allow participants to demonstrate their Disney knowledge as they compete for outstanding prizes
- Many more one-of-a-kind D23 Expo panels, presentations and experiences which will be announced in the coming months.
October 14-15: Sip & Stroll at Epcot in Orlando
As part of the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival, D23 is once again hosting their annual Sip & Stroll event exclusive to D23 Members. More details will be announced in 2011.
December 17-18: Magic and Merriment at Walt Disney World in Orlando
D23 brings back its annual holiday tradition celebrating the spirit of the season, exclusive for D23 Members. More details will be announced in 2011.
50 and Fabulous Screenings
At D23 Expo 2009, Disney fans were invited to view Disney film masterpieces that were celebrating their golden anniversaries — beloved animated classics and live-action family friendly films rarely seen on the big screen in the past 50 years. The D23 tradition continued in 2010, this time in the recently renovated, state-of-the-art 400-seat Studio Theatre on the Walt Disney Studio Lot in Burbank.
The 2011 season of 50 and Fabulous begins January 22 on the Burbank Lot. Tickets to the screenings are free (with a $5 ticket processing fee) for D23 Members and one guest, and will include special D23 surprises. The schedule is as follows:
- January 22: 101 Dalmatians - Released originally January 25, 1961, the smash hit was rereleased in 1969, 1979, 1985 and 1991. Along with the memorable song “Cruella de Vil,” 101 Dalmatians is known for originating the term “Twilight Bark” (the system which dogs across the countryside use to communicate with one another), which also happens to be the name of the quick news bits section of the D23 Web site!
- March 12: The Absent-Minded Professor – Originally released March 16, 1961, the film stars Fred MacMurray — the first Disney Legend — as Medfield College’s Professor Ned Brainard, the inventor of the magical Flubber. The film also features the “Medfield Fight Song,” the first song ever penned by Richard and Robert Sherman for a Disney movie.
- June 18: The Parent Trap – Originally released June 21, 1961, the film was lauded not just for its imaginative story but for its technical advances. Disney legend Hayley Mills plays both twins Sharon and Susan, separated as children by their divorced parents, who set in motion a plan to reunite their estranged parents. The Parent Trap earned Academy Award® nominations for editing and sound.
- Nov 19: Babes in Toyland – Starring Ray Bolger, Annette Funicello, Ed Wynn, Tommy Sands, Ann Jillian, Tommy Kirk and Kevin Corcoran, Babes in Toyland was released December 14, 1961 and has become a holiday favorite. Revisit Tom (Sands) and Mary (Funicello) as they prepare to wed in Mother Goose Village while dodging the evil Barnaby (Bolger). The Forest of No Return, an incredible gun that shrinks its targets and, of course, the many beloved songs, are all part of this magical adventure.
D23 Tours at the Walt Disney Studios and Archives
D23 continues to offer this rare opportunity for D23 Members to enjoy a two-and-a-half hour tour of The Walt Disney Studios and Walt Disney Archives, hosted by D23 and Walt Disney Archives staff. Space is very limited. The 2011 tour dates are:
- February 5
- April 30
- July 23
- November 5
As with all live events, dates and times are subject to change. D23 is in the planning stages for even more exciting 2011 activities, details of which will be revealed in the coming months.
- D23 Great Disney Scavenger Hunt At Disney World Announced! (onlywdworld.com)
- D23 and Walt Disney Studios Present a Special Advance Screening of Tangled (chipandco.com)