Category Archives: Favorite Disney Foods
So far in our Disney Foodie Series we have covered Snacks and Breakfast! Today lets do Lunch! Once again lets break this down by parks, resorts and DTD plus by counter service to table service , because lets face it there’s waaaaay too many favorites to narrow it down to just one
First up Magic Kingdom~ My favorite counter service here in MK has never wavered, and that says alot because I am always open to new places and new taste. Columbia Harbour House, we have always liked anything we have got here over the years and always look forward to making a return. My favorite here is the Anchors Aweigh Sandwich, fresh, light and tasty just the way a sandwich should be! My son loves the Chicken Salad here and last time we split our meals and I have to say it was really good! I would recommend anything here fish, chicken or go crazy and try the lighthouse hummus sandwich! Plus try the upstairs seating, quiet and out of the way makes for a great break in the middle of the day!
My Foodie choice for a sit-down lunch in the Magic kingdom is the Liberty Tree Tavern. We always enjoyed the character dinners they had a few years ago and the Pilgrims Feast (Turkey Dinner) with all the trimming they served, but alas the characters are gone but the Pilgrims’ Feast thankfully remains! It was then we tried lunch here, while some ordered the pilgrims feast I went with the New England Pot Roast… Our Tavern Keeper’s Favorite and what a scrumptious dish this is! It was melt in your mouth good, the way good pot roast should be and this folks didn’t disappoint :) Also again if you are looking for something lighter and say even a little different give the Colony Salad a try, it not only has chicken and greens but crasins, apples and pecans a great salad for sure!
Disney’s Boardwalk has underwent food updates. Many of the resorts and restaurant in the area have under went menu changes to provide you more yummy offerings.
A new “Extreme” section of the menu at ESPN Club on Disney’s Boardwalk presents dishes fans may not expect to fins in a sports bar, from a secret Ahi tuna burger to an “Over/Under” burger topped with lobster salad to a “Chicago Meets Pittsburgh” extreme roast beef sandwich Forty craft beers also have joined the restaurant’s menu.
The BoardWalk Bakery closed in January for refurbishment and is scheduled to reopen later this spring with an expanded section of baked goods, soups and sandwiches, along with refillable beverage station. In the meantime, check out the nearby pizza window which recently began serving a new vegetarian pizza featuring fresh-roasted garlic in olive oil, oven-roasted mushrooms and spinach.
Hurricane Hanna’s, the casual eatery located just steps away from Disney’s Beach Club Villas on the shore of Stormalong Bay, has become Hanna’s Waterside Bar & Grill. This re-imagined poolside retreat has a new menu and sit-down bar area.
The nearby Martha’s Vineyard lounge has enhanced its menu with a “Taste of Cape May Cafe,” featuring favorites as Cape May Cafe’s Seafood Chowder and Clam Bake Bucket.
Have you spent an evening at the Boardwalk? Where is your favorite place to eat? Let us know in the comment box below.
Last week on our Disney Foodie Series we talked about Snacks, now let’s move on to some Breakfast favorites!! This is one meal that most people are divided on…have pop tarts or cereal in the room for a quick get up and go type of breakfast or grab something in your food court, maybe stop and grab a pastries or cupcake in the park or make an ADR for a sit-down breakfast like at Kona or Boma or do you wake up early on the day your ADR window opens and book Chef Mickey or Cinderella’s Castle to start your day the most Magical way!
No wrong answer here and honestly we do a combination of all of the above on our trips to the world! But this is all about being a Disney Foodie so let’s break this down by Quick Service and Sit down’s in each park, DTD and resorts! I mean there are sooooo many favorites why just pick one
So let’s start with parks… Magic Kingdom!
Well Main Street Bakery is a Breakfast fan favorite for many reasons, pastries, specialty coffees, cupcakes, ice cream sandwiches…what? It is vacation, who am I to judge but all those options aside (and maybe more to come soon) I always have the Warm Cinnamon Roll here for breakfast…big, warm, soft and gooey it is de-lish!! Plus the line goes quick here, seats inside or grab yourself a seat outside and watch as folks start to head into the park for the day!
Chip’s Tips – While the MSB is under refurbishment head up to Gaston Tavern for those Warm Cinnamon Rolls!
My favorite Sit-Down Breakfast in Magic Kingdom is hands down Crystal Palace! Now yes I have a thing for Winnie the Pooh but breakfast here has never disappointed us! I enjoy most selections here the breakfast pizza, the potatoes, Mickey Waffles but my must have here is the Puffed French Toast I could have just that and be happy as a clam!
More after the jump…
I will say on other trips to the world if we weren’t having a sit down breakfast here we grabbed something quick in our room or food court then headed to AK… Then I read somewhere to give Pizzafari a try for breakfast, I thought “Pizzafari really” well I must say we were pleasantly surprised! My hubby had the breakfast Panini, my son a blueberry muffin and I had and fell in love with the Spinach and Goat Cheese Frittata it was served with a salsa a yummy potatoes! It was scrumptious I can’t wait to have it again! This was defiantly a “who knew” for us but we loved this little gem for breakfast!
Sit down Breakfast here in AK for us is always a family favorite of the trip, and while its Animal Kingdoms only sit down breakfast it is a winner in the category none the less… Tusker House~ Donald’s Safari Breakfast! This buffet offer your normal Disney breakfast fare but they also add in some dishes that run along the lines of dishes you would see at Boma. My stand out here is the Ham and Cheese Frittata so tasty with the right amount of ham and cheese! I do have to give a shout out to the Cheese Blintzes, these little “heaven pockets” are stuffed with a sweet cream cheese that would rival any pastries’ offered here.
Starring Rolls Cafe is the “Only” place we do breakfast here… Sad but true! Then again sad is NOT the word for here, oh no some of our favorite goodies come from here! The Cupcakes… ahhh… yes the cupcakes… It is a rule that at least once on vacation we can have cupcakes for breakfast and it always seems to be here! So if have you never had cupcakes for breakfast then take a stroll down Sunset Boulevard and get yourself one If Cupcakes aren’t your thing, then defiantly try the Apple or Cherry Turnovers or any of the Muffins they offer here, always outstanding!
Sunshine Season is always a great stop for a quick morning breakfast! We seem to always get a Child French Toast meal here or split a platter (eggs, bacon, potato’s, sausage & biscuit) meal, reason…we like to eat our way around the world showcase later! Yes while we like breakfast most days, when offered all the yummy goodies the World Showcase has to offer, we save room in our bellies for that and forgo breakfast “most” Epcot days! Normal breakfast fare is the norm here but always good and there is something about the Potatoes here, mmm they are tasty little buggers, so guess what my part is when we share.
I read awhile back about Wolfgang Puck Express and never thought about breakfast here until then, so like any good Disney Foodie I put it on my Itinerary and off we went! While this is a Quick Service place its ads a nice mix of table service, I really like this place anytime of the day and the food is always outstanding! That said one of my favorites (day or night) is the Wolfgang’s Breakfast Pocket it is stuffed full of scrambled eggs, bacon, onions, peppers and cheese and all tucked in a pizza dough, now kids this is good eats!!
No matter where we stay at least once we hit our food court for breakfast and while Mickey Waffles and a Breakfast Platters always seem to be our choices I will say we have always liked them! Of course I always take the Potatoes Now as far as sit down places at the resorts for breakfast, we have hit them all and while O’Hana, Boma, Chef Mickey’s & 1900 Park Fare are places we have been to a couple times each, our favorite is Kona Cafe in the Polynesian Resort! I know that Tonga Toast is a fan favorite here… but my love here is the Macadamia Pineapple Pancakes these are so good they get my “Shut the Front Door” award for favorite breakfast dish on WDW property!
These are my Breakfast Favorites but as a Disney Foodie I am always on the lookout for new places and goodies to try! Stay tuned for Disney Foodie Favorite Lunch Spots and dishes!
Pixie Dust Sprinkles,
- Disney Foodie Favorites – SNACKS! (chipandco.com)
- Why We Choose the Disney Dining Plan (disneydining.com)
Disney World fans know that Dining at Disney can be as much of a magical experience as the characters and attractions; but with so many restaurants to choose from, dining plans to consider, menus, prices, and more, where do you start?
That’s what today’s post is all about, giving you that head start when tackling the Disney Dining world. So keep reading to learn the top 10 things you need to know about dining at WDW!
10. Use the Dining Plan-I’m a big believer in the Disney Dining Plan and never visit without it! First of all, it offers me an all inclusive vacation, which makes Disney less stressful. Secondly, I believe it does save you cash. Dining at Disney is pricey, and this applies to drinks and snacks; and trust us, you’re going to be stopping by those snack carts and restaurants pretty regularly, especially if you have kids. It’s a good possibility that you will go over your dining budget; and it’s no fun to haul around sandwiches and snacks in that heavy backpack on a hot, humid Florida afternoon. So with the Standard Dining Plan, you don’t have to count cash and you get to enjoy a nice, sit down meal every day, along with one counter service meal and snack credits. (This is the one that I always choose because I like to abuse it and dine at as many expensive restaurants as possible without paying the hefty bill!) Tip: The Dining Plan doesn’t include tips, so be sure to include this cost in your Disney budget! But if you would rather eat and run back to the rides, the Quick Service Dining Plan will definitely save you money.
9. Allow Time for Transportation-Did you book a character meal at the Polynesian for dinner, but you’re at Hollywood Studios today? In that case, you need to allow about an hour cushion for you to get from the park to the resort. Buses aren’t always as prompt as guests prefer, especially if you just left before you reached the bus stop; and you also have to account for the time it takes to leave the park and to walk through the resort to make it to your restaurant. Traveling by Monorail? The same rule applies! Monorails can get backed up and even stop on the tracks in certain situations. So don’t miss your reservation, plan ahead!
More after the jump…
So you’re spending the day at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and you already had lunch, but you’re starving and about to have a meltdown (we’ve all been there!), and dinner is hours away…so what do you do? I recommend you take a break and grab a snack at one of these Top 5 Hollywood Studios Snack Spots:
1. Min and Bill’s Dockside Diner – Head over to the this spot in the Echo Lake area of HS for some delicious milkshakes, and the infamous pretzel hot dogs and italian sausages served with peppers and onions. Need something to quench your thirst on a hot Orlando day? I recommend a frozen lemonade to go with that pretzel dog.
2. Tune In Lounge - Located adjacent to the 50′s Prime Time Cafe in the Echo Lake Area, this lounge serves up some killer bloody marys, and an assortment of other adult beverages. Plus you can order drinks and food selections off the Prime Time Cafe menu, like their infamously delicious PB&J Milkshake. The Lounge is open daily from 11am-10:30 pm for your drinking and dining pleasure.
3. High Octane Refreshments – Between the Backlot Tour and the Honey I Shrunk The Kids Play Area you’ll find this stand that may not exactly be a “snack” spot, but it IS attached to the Studio Catering Company counter service eatery which serves up sandwiches and salads to the hungry HS lunch crowds. High Octane is the “liquid” refreshment portion of this restaurant, serving up a “High Octane” Long Island Iced Tea, and a “Stoplight Margarita” which is a delicious layered green, yellow and red fruity drink that really packs a punch. Stop here from 11:30 am- 5:30 pm to give it a go.
4. Writer’s Stop – Located near the Sci-Fi Dine In Theater, this quaint little spot is a great cool spot to relax (the AC is always blasting, perfect place to go on a hot day!), and it is reminiscent of a little privately owned bookshop, where you can buy merchandise, books, oh and snacks too – their bakery case is alway stocked with muffins, cookies, cupcakes, and the infamous carrot cake cookie (a GIANT cookie sandwich with cream cheese frosting in the middle!) is available here, as well as assorted coffee drinks. Its a great place to stop and grab a bite and take a break!
5. Starring Roles – You’ll find this little Cafe on Sunset Boulevard serving up sandwiches, sushi, wines, coffee drinks, sodas and other beverages. However, I must say, the “Star” of this show has to the their baked goods – from eclairs, to tarts and fudge, cheesecake, and some truly amazing cupcakes – I highly recommend you head over to Starring Roles between 9am and 4pm to use up some of those snack credits! You can also grab breakfast here when the Park opens.
So If these are the best PLACES to grab a snack at Hollywood Studios, then what, exactly, is the BEST SNACK? Well, in my personal opinion, it HAS to be the Butterfinger Cupcake available at Starring Roles
It’s a chocolate cupcake with a dense fudge filling thats piled high with fluffy vanilla frosting and a hard chocolate shell that is covered in Butterfinger candy pieces….aka HEAVEN, all for the price of one little snack credit
…And if you happen to be between WDW trips and going through butterdfinger cupcake withdrawal, then try your hand at making your own for a little bit of the Disney Magic at home!
What about you – Where do you like to grab a bite while at Hollywood Studios?
- Disney Foodie Favorites – SNACKS! (chipandco.com)
- Tables in Wonderland:The Great Movie Ride Dinner at Disney’s Hollywood Studios (chipandco.com)