I always save California Adventure for Day 2. I mean, who doesn’t? Disneyland is the original and still the best place to start, and end… Yeah okay, you caught me. I always do a 3 (or more) day park hopper for Disneyland. This way I do a full day at each park and split the 3rd day between the two.
So you’ve gone to Disneyland, you’ve listened to my sage advice and riden all the best rides, seen the best shows, and all that Disneyland has to offer. And of course you ate at Blue Bayou, right? right? I mean, I kinda stressed it in that one posting didn’t I?
So here you are at California Adventure… Now What? What do you do first? Well two things, hopefully you read the posting on Radiator Springs Racers so you already knew to get those FastPasses before the park even opened. Second thing you want to do is get your FastPass to World Of Color, if you don’t already have a dining package. Don’t worry World Of Color FastPasses don’t keep you from getting any other ones. It’s simply to help control the crowd by assigning sections.
You’ve stepped onto Buena Vista Street, circa 1923. I suggest this time you do go slowly, unlike Disneyland Park, down Buena Vista Street. Check it out, especially Trolley Treats. I love this store for a few reasons… I mean, it’s got candy, chocolate, fudge, plus delicious caramel apples! While you’re there make sure you stop and take in the window display. It features a mountain that was designed in 1957 to be a part of Frontierland. The mountain was to be named “Rock Candy Mountain”. Sadly, it never came to be… Maybe some day.
After taking in Buena Vista Street, head off to Paradise Pier at the end of the park. This is where I always start my rides, and work my way back to the front. So what are the must do rides at California Adventure?
- California Screamin’ (OF COURSE!) – FastPass
- Car’s Land – YES ALL OF IT! Luigi’s Flying Tires, Maters Junkyard Jamboree, Radiator Springs Racers (FP) and more
- Did I say Radiator Springs Racers? (really? – well try and go twice!)
- Toy Story Mania
- Red Car Trolley
- Muppet Vision 3D
- It’s Tough to Be a Bug
- Disney’s Aladin Musical Show
- Soarin’ over California – FastPass<
- Sorcerer’s Workshop
- Turtle Talk with Crush
- Twilight Zone Tower of Terror – FastPass
- Grizzly River Run – FastPass
After all those rides, those splashes and more, you’ve probably worked up some hunger. So where should you eat?
- Ariel’s Grotto – Even I love dining with Princesses… Quick Note – Princesses come for Breakfast and Lunch only now.
- Pacific Wharf Cafe – Yummy sourdough clam chowder
- Clarabelle’s Hand-Scooped Ice Cream
- Fairfax Market – Lots of healthy options
- Ghirardelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop
- Carthay Circle Restaurant
- Flo’s V8 Cafe – Great Grilled items
After seeing the sites, hanging out on Route 66, and eating something excellent, I have to see World of Color. If I don’t I just don’t feel quite complete. If you haven’t seen this show, you should know that this is an amazing show. The amount of work done, as well as the creativeness is captivating. The downside to the World of Color is that it was added after the park was opened. So with this it wasn’t planned for with a good viewing area. So you must get there early to get close enough to see the whole show. Don’t forget, you can get a FastPass at the beginning of the day near Grizzly River Run! I highly recommend getting the FastPass and getting to the show early. Both will help you to enjoy the show as much as possible! Here’s another quick tip, pick yourself up some “Glow with the Show” ears. This have IR technology that allows the ears to literally become part of the show. Check back here as I will be posting about the ears specifically very soon.
As you near the end of your day, take a leisurely stroll back through Buena Vista Street, get yourself some cool souvenirs and perhaps a midnight snack to enjoy later on. Have a good evening and we’ll see you again real soon!
I hope you find this information fun, new and worthwhile.
- Visiting Cars Land at Disney’s California Adventure (chipandco.com)
- Mickey and the Magical Map Live Show Opens in 2013 (chipandco.com)
Latest posts by DisneyDaniel (see all)
- Aulani Wins Top Honors - July 21, 2014
- Halloween Time Returns to Disneyland! - July 14, 2014
- Virtually Share A Cup of Starbucks between Disney World and Disneyland - June 24, 2014