Sad news to report today out of Walt Disney World Resort where according to the Orlando Sentinel a 13-year old boy, Anthony Johnson, has passed away from drowning. Last Sunday, the child was pulled out of the pool at Pop Century Resort at the Hippy Dippy pool around 9:30pm and was taken to an Orlando area hospital where he passed away today. He was swimming with his family when they lost sight of him and after a few minutes a cousin spotted him at the bottom of the pool.
The boy’s father performed CPR on the child until paramedics arrived and took over. The family was visiting Disney on vacation from Fordland, MO.
Lifeguards were at the pool from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., and signs are posted that guests swim at their own risk after hours, Disney spokeswoman Marilyn Waters said.
“We are saddened by Anthony Johnson’s passing and our hearts go out to his family, friends and loved ones. We have reached out to his family to offer care and assistance during this difficult time,” the company said in a statement.
- Walt Disney World Resort Refurbishments Update for March 2013 (chipandco.com)
- Boy Pulled From Disney Resort Pool Dies (fox8.com)
Thank you for visiting Chip and Co. Be sure to sign up for our Daily Newsletter where we deliver the best in Disney News & Planning Tips to your inbox! You can find us all over the internet at Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+, Tumblr, and even our Tee Public Store!
Latest posts by Chip and Co Guest Blogger (see all)
- Disney’s Character Warehouse: A Diamond in the Rough - August 2, 2015
- The Mystery of the “Teddy Bear Lady” at the Grand Floridian Resort - December 30, 2014
- Saving Money on Your Disney Vacation…Using Gift Cards! - September 13, 2014