Have you ever heard this? Do you think this is accurate? Would Walt Disney World allow this to happen? As science and medicine progress, it is being found that many more people than were previously thought have food allergies or sensitivities. There are also many food issues among folks with chronic diseases. This issue runs the gamut from the very young to Oldies like me. Thankfully for me, my only food issue is that I love it way too much.
Disney takes these food issues very seriously and offers solutions at the large majority of their restaurants so their guests will not be subjected to the problems that can happen as a result of these allergies/sensitivities. Let’s take a look at what some of the major food allergies are:
- gluten or wheat
- lactose or dairy
- peanuts and tree nuts
The best way to avoid problems with these types of allergies/issues is to note them when you make your table service reservations or if you prefer, discuss them with the Chef or Restaurant Manager upon your arrival. These things can generally be handled quite easily
There are other types of dietary issues that can cause problems for those folks with either metabolic disorders or multiple allergies. Some of these are:
- Allergy or intolerance not listed above under Common Food Allergies
- Metabolic disorders
- A single guest with multiple allergies/intolerances or multiple guests with allergies/intolerances within the same party
These types of dietary issues require a bit more planning and Disney would like you to contact them at least 14 days in advance of your arrival by e-mailing them your information (restaurant, specific issue, how many members in your party with the issue, and any other pertinent information). The specific e-mail address is: SpecialDiets@DisneyWorld.com. You should have all of your reservations made and the reservation information assembled before contacting them.
You are not restricted to table service restaurants if you have one of the simpler allergies mentioned above. The following counter service eateries can also deal with the simpler allergies:
- Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café
- Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn & Café
- Main Street Bakery
- Columbia Harbor House
- The Pinocchio Village House
For further information you can visit the Walt Disney World Special Dietary Requirements web page. Walt Disney World is vastly experienced in handling dining needs of every type from those mentioned above to providing Kosher Meals upon request. Trust them but make sure you give them the correct information when they ask. After all, they have your and their best interests at heart. As always, enjoy your visit to Walt Disney World!!
Ken of Chip and Company and Disney For Seniors
- Top 5 Snacks for Small Children at Walt Disney World (chipandco.com)
- Five Ways To Ruin A Walt Disney World Vacation (chipandco.com)
Walt Disney World is a magical place to vacation and if you do most things correctly it is difficult to not have a wonderful time. Some people are planners and some are not but some planning is essential. Every traveling group has a definite dynamic and there are travelers within each group with different abilities and needs. The magic of Walt Disney World can overcome most things but there are a few things that MANY, MANY visitors do that can defeat even that magic. Let’s look at five things that can derail an otherwise incredible visit.
- OVERPLANNING: An awful lot of people get carried away with the planning portion of a visit. They try to plan every minute of every day and more often than not they suffer some disappointment because of the dreaded “Disney variables”. Although there are a lot of sites around that do a good job of predicting crowd levels, none of them are always accurate. You must allow some spare time to account for unexpected crowds and other things like an attraction going down because of a malfunction – it happens!! If you find yourself asking how long it takes to walk from attraction A to attraction B so you won’t miss anything, you are overplanning
- THE DOMINANT PERSONALITY: As I mentioned in the introduction, every traveling group has a dynamic which includes a dominant person in the group. If you don’t recognize who that person is in your party, it’s probably you. I speak from experience here because I am generally the dominant personality. I have learned over time that I have to step back and let the other members of the group take the lead. When I find myself taking over the group I have to say to myself – Ken, it’s not all about you!! Let your family and friends make some touring decisions.
- GOING COMMANDO (NO RESTING): It always amazes me the number of visitors who feel that they have to be on the go and hitting attractions every minute of every day. They are easy to spot because they are the ones in full meltdown about half way through their day. I’m not just talking about the kids either, grownups have meltdowns too. Kids cry and grownups yell or grimace at each other. Do yourself a favor, relax your pace and make every attempt to get out of the park for an hour or two each day. Take a nap or a dip in your resort pool and if you are not staying on site go visit one of the beautiful Disney resorts to just sit down for a snack or a cold beverage – you will not regret it.
- NOT LISTENING TO YOUR BODY: Your body knows when it needs something!!! When it’s tired it needs rest of one type or another, when it’s hungry it needs nourishment. and when it’s thirsty it needs fluids. One of the worst things you can do to yourself at Walt Disney World is to not stay hydrated. You get caught up in the excitement (happened to me in October) and you don’t drink as much WATER as you should. Dehydration is the quickest ticket to feeling just plain miserable and is the easiest thing to prevent – water, water, and more water!! Don’t worry, there are plenty of restrooms at Walt Disney World and they are generally spotless!!!!
- WINGING IT (ZERO PLANNING): I did this once and believe it or not, this is worse than overplanning. Walt Disney World is huge and very complicated so if you don’t do any planning I can almost guarantee you will spend a significant portion of your vacation standing in line for attractions. Equally as important, one of the easiest ways to rest is at a table service restaurant but if you don’t pre plan at least some meals and make the appropriate reservations you are very likely to be disappointed. The internet is a gold mine for research and any planning you do (just don’t overdo it) will be rewarded.
It’s very tough to ruin a vacation to Walt Disney World but if you do some of the things I mentioned above you are on your way. I learned most of the things I talked about through many, many visits over the years and I hope reading about them will help you maximize your visit. As always, enjoy your visit to Walt Disney World!!
- First RFID turnstiles open at Epcot as Walt Disney World continues Next Generation initiative (chipandco.com)
- Wounded Veteran Prevails Over Physical Disabilities to Compete in Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend (chipandco.com)
Hello everyone! Yes it’s once again that time – time for the Chip and Company Disney Week In Review. We will be taking a look at some of the more intriguing news items concerning the Disney Company and all of it’s subsidiaries and of course we will give you a taste of the work of the best staff of Disney writers in existence. Let’s press on!!!
- We all know that there are lots and lots of Jake and the Neverland Pirates out there and the folks at Disney recognize this also. That is why those folks will be pleased to know that Jake and the Neverland Pirates Coming to Disney Parks. I think we all figured it would happen and it is on the way.
- This particular day only happens once a century and the Lucky 11′s were wild at the Walt Disney World Resort. Check out the details when you read 11-11-11 Popular Wedding Day at WDW. Yes there were 11 couples that day!!!
- It’s not always fun and magic at the Disney properties. You will see what I mean when you read how there was a Man arrested for peeping over restroom stall in Epcot. I don’t generally express opinions but that is just sick.
- Comics are going digital and you Marvel fans will not have to wait. Find out what is going on in Marvel Digital Comics to Go On Sale Same Day As In Store. Imagine that, the Same Day.
- Are you going to Walt Disney World soon? Are you going to attend Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party? Do you like the Characters? If you answered yes to all three of those questions then you will be happy to know that New Characters Are Coming to Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party. Have a magical time!!!
- Disney always seems to be doing something to enhance the childhood experience. Their latest effort comes about as Disney Publishing Announces Launch of FamilyFun Kids, A New, Interactive Children’s Magazine. Educational – most likely, profitable – definitely!!
- It’s not just speculation any more!! Fans of the Dora The Explorer game at Epcot will be thrilled to know that the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Is Play-Tested at Walt Disney World. It looks like it will be live in early 2012.
- Attention Facebook users (isn’t that ALMOST everyone?). Did you know that you will now be able to Engage in Goofy’s Gift Exchange on Facebook. Check out the article to see just what it entails.
- Do you like exotic (read EXPENSIVE) automobiles? You folks will be happy happy happy to know that there is an Exotic Driving Experience at Walt Disney World Speedway coming soon. I heard a rumor that someone (could it be Chip) has been invited to head on down and give it a try. Drive safely boss!!!
- Are you an Annual Passholder? Are you going to be at the Walt Disney World resort in December? If so Disney has a gift for you. They decided that Annual Passholders receive free 2012 Calendar and it starts December 2nd. Check the details.
There was an awful lot of news coming out of Disney this week so if you want to keep up to date about all things Disney (and who does not) make sure to stop by Chip and Company every day. BUT – we don’t just have news we also have a group of very experienced Disney visitors who are more than willing to offer you their thoughts, opinions, and experiences. Let’s take a look at just a few of their articles:
- Brenda offers us a lovely and very touching story about her very favorite Disney souvenir. Take a look at Disney Souvenirs & Collectibles – Princess Wedding Dance Snowglobe and find out why this particular souvenir means so very much to Brenda.
- Our writers visit Walt Disney World regularly and they just love the resort hotels. We have a new series about these hotels and Mel gives you the information to answer the question – Is Disney’s Boardwalk Villas Resort For You? Give it a look and see if the Boardwalk Villas are a good fit for you.
- Lee, our resident Canadian, loves detail and shows this love when he talks about the Top 5 Imagineering Touches at The Magic Kingdom. Articles like this are a great way to find out things you may not have known.
That’s all for this week my friends. Please stop by and visit us each day to stay current and you may just be surprised at what Chip is giving away – free stuff is good!!! As always, enjoy your visit to Walt Disney World!!
- Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party 2011 at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom – Photos and Video (jefflangedvd.com)
- Jake and the Neverland Pirates Coming to Disney Parks (chipandco.com)
Walt Disney World’s premier resort is Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa but that’s not really the question here. Is this resort what you are looking for is the question that needs to be answered. This particular resort generates specific and sometimes strong feelings from almost everyone. These feelings run from “I would never stay anywhere else.” to “I would never stay there because….”. I’m on the side that loves this resort and we stay there fairly regularly but we also love to try many of the Disney resorts so we don’t stay there every trip by any means. Let’s take a look at the Pros and Cons of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa:
- The resort is absolutely beautiful and oozes sophistication and luxury.
- The staff is the most accommodating that I have found in any Disney resort at all positions and levels.
- The theme is magnificent, honoring the glory days of Victorian Florida. It is very detailed and beautifully done.
- Dining is unparalleled in any other Disney resort. There are three superior table service venues including the best restaurant in Central Florida, Victoria and Albert’s, Citrico’s, and Narcoossee‘s. In addition there is an excellent character buffet at 1900 Park Fare with what is purported to be the best buffet food at Walt Disney World and it serves both breakfast and dinner. In addition there is a wonderful casual table service restaurant, the Grand Floridian Cafe, that is consistently excellent in both service and food. If that’s not enough there is a pretty decent quick service restaurant, Gasparilla’s.
- One of the most relaxing activities in all of Walt Disney World is the Afternoon Tea in the Garden View Lounge. Every visit to Walt Disney World, no matter where we are staying, this is a must do!
- Transportation is excellent and includes bus transportation, several boats, and of course the Monorail.
- Here is where I hear the most negatives but LOTS of people feel that the resort is not “kid friendly”. It really is very “kid friendly” and I’ve found that they run as fast and scream as loudly as the kids at every Disney resort. Kids activities abound and include storytelling, scavenger hunts, crafts, etc. There is a zero entry pool with a water slide that kids absolutely love. Children are very well served at the Grand Floridian.
- The rooms are beautifully appointed and larger than most at about 400 square feet.
- There is daily live entertainment in the Grand Lobby consisting, at different times, of a pianist or a full orchestra.
- There is lots of shopping available, mostly on the second floor of the main building, ranging from very upscale to the standard Disney shops.
- There are not a lot of CONS but the most obvious is – the COST!! Staying at the Grand Floridian can be cost prohibitive unless you are very wealthy (not me for sure), have a disciplined vacation savings program (yes, that’s me), or know how to find the most significant discounts available (Yes, I do this too). If you approach it like we do it’s only expensive and not OMG!!!!!EXPENSIVE.
- Some folks feel stifled because of the apparent formality of the resort. Sure, it looks very formal but everyone there is on vacation just like you, all you have to do is relax.
We have stayed here on a few vacations and absolutely love it. I tried to be as balanced as I could but for us, there is simply not much to dislike. If you do not spend a lot of time around your resort or just use your room for sleeping and showering, DO NOT STAY AT THIS RESORT!! It’s simply not worth it unless you take the time to enjoy it. However, if you do enjoy detail, impeccable service, great food etc. I highly recommend this resort. I asked the question – Is Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa for you? – you have to decide that for yourself. I know we love it and if it works for you I know you will thoroughly enjoy it as well. As always, enjoy your visit to Walt Disney World!!
When you arrive at Walt Disney World and approach Disney’s Wilderness Lodge Resort for the first time it’s difficult to believe that you are in central Florida as opposed to a beautiful woodland setting in the far northern part of the United States. The setting itself is gorgeous and it is matched by the beauty and splendor of the resort. It is one of Walt Disney World’s best themed resorts and a favorite of thousands of regular visitors, in fact, many visitors to this resort simply will not stay anywhere else. I can’t say that I blame them because it is one of the most relaxing of all the Disney resort hotels. Let’s look at the Pros and Cons of Disney’s Wilderness Lodge Resort:
- The setting and the resort itself are absolutely beautiful, as good or better than any other at Walt Disney World.
- The theme of the resort is striking, not just in it’s detail and accuracy, but also in it’s scope and splendor. Yes there is a running stream inside the lobby.
- The cast members are truly helpful and friendly but that is the norm for Walt Disney World.
- The quality of the dining venues is excellent from the Roaring Fork Snack Shop self service cafe to the Whispering Canyon Cafe table service to the Artist Point Signature restaurant. (See also CONS). Roaring Fork is pretty typical of Disney quick serve hotel locations. The Whispering Canyon Cafe serves excellent food with plenty of variety in a raucous but fun setting and Artist Point is an outstanding upscale restaurant that serves not only many standard choices but a variety of exotic game dishes. For you salmon fans, the Cedar Plank Salmon at Artist Point is NOT TO BE MISSED!!,
- Transportation is very good but buses are generally shared with at least one other resort (varies). There is excellent boat transportation to the Magic Kingdom, Contemporary Resort (where you can catch the Monorail), and Fort Wilderness (home of the Hoop De Doo Review). The boats are a fun and very relaxing way to get around.
- The rooms are varied and some are particularly family friendly. They run from the standard two queen bed room, to the king bed room to the queen bed and bunk bed combination room(family friendly). The king bed rooms are also the barrier free rooms and there are 37 of them.
- The huge lobby is a nice place to sit and relax after a hard day in the parks. There is a gigantic stone fireplace that is particularly striking.
- The main pool is very scenic with a great view of the resort, grounds, and Fire Rock Geyser which erupts every hour on the hour from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM. There are two spas (Disney for hot tubs) at the main pool. There is a quiet pool with a spa in the Disney Vacation Club Villas area, also very nice.
- There are not many Cons here but the one that is most prominent is the number of restaurants. The quality of the restaurants is absolutely not the issue but this resort could use one more casual table service venue. You can only eat at Whispering Canyon or Roaring Fork so many times before they become stale and most folks (especially with kids) can’t afford to eat too often at Artist Point (I could eat there every evening but that’s me – the food is amazing).
- This is the only Magic Kingdom Area Resort without Monorail service. You can, however, take a boat to the Contemporary Resort to catch the Monorail. It’s a very nice ride if the weather cooperates (which it generally does). It simply would not be practical to run a Monorail spur to the Wilderness Lodge.
The Wilderness Lodge Resort is one of Walt Disney World’s best and most popular resorts. Any stay here will be both fun and rewarding in that you will find it easy to relax in a beautiful and calm setting. Although lots of folks stay here there is no sense of frenzy like I have noticed at some of the other popular Deluxe resorts. I use the term frenzy reluctantly because it’s nothing I can really put a finger on but it just does not exist at this resort. It would be worth your while to consider this resort for a future visit to Walt Disney World. As always, enjoy your visit to Walt Disney World!!
Plugin by Social Author Bio