Looking for a tropical escape from the frozen winter months? Look no further than these deliciously warm recipes from Disney’s Aulani Resort!
ROASTED KAMUELA TOMATO SOUP WITH
TRUFFLED BRIE “GRILLED CHEESE”
ROASTED KAMUELA TOMATO SOUP
5 large tomatoes, cored and cut in half
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Handful fresh basil
Handful fresh oregano
1 white onion, large dice
3 garlic cloves
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 (15-ounce) can Italian-seasoned diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth (optional, as needed)
TRUFFLED BRIE “GRILLED CHEESE”
1 7 ounce wheel Brie cheese at room temperature
1/2 tablespoon white truﬄe oil
6 slices soft white bread
2 tablespoons softened butter
FOR ROASTED KAMUELA TOMATO SOUP:
- Preheat oven to 450F. Place tomatoes on a large sheet pan. Drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon oil and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Roast 30 minutes, until softened and caramelized.
- Tie the ends of basil and oregano together in a bundle using kitchen twine. Set aside.
- While roasting tomatoes, heat remainder of oil in a soup pot. Sauté onions until translucent, about 7 – 10 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until gold and fragrant, 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook until tomato paste becomes dry. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add basil and oregano bundle, roasted tomatoes, and canned tomatoes with juices.
- Simmer on medium-low heat 30 to 45 minutes, until tomatoes are broken down. If mixture seems dry, add chicken broth, a bit at a time, until soup is thinned out but not watery.
- Working in batches, carefully pour mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. Alternatively, use a handheld blender to purée. Then pour mixture through a fine-mesh sieve or chinois, discarding solids. Serve hot.
FOR TRUFFLED BRIE GRILLED CHEESE:
- Gently cut away white rind from brie and discard.
- Place Brie in a medium bowl; add truffle oil. Mix gently until completely combined and smooth. Set aside.
- Cut crusts off of bread; cut each slice into 2 (1×2-inch) rectangles.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Spread one side of each rectangle with softened butter. Place bread rectangles butter side down in warm skillet and toast until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Spread 1 tablespoon truffled Brie cheese on the un-buttered side of 6 bread rectangles. Top with remaining half of rectangles, creating 6 sandwiches.
- Serve sandwiches alongside soup.
Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa
Serves 6 as an appetizer
1 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons yuzu juice
Juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, plus additional for garnish
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon wasabi powder
1/8 teaspoon sugar
2 pounds fresh sushi-grade tuna, cubed
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Favorite prepared seaweed salad, for serving
- Whisk together soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, yuzu juice, lime juice, garlic, sesame seeds, vinegar, wasabi powder, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add tuna to mixture and toss to coat. Season with pepper, to taste. Refrigerate 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place a bit of seaweed salad in the bottom of a small dish. Top with tuna and garnish with toasted sesame seeds.
Cook’s Note: Poke (pronounced POH-kay) means “cut piece” or “small piece” in Hawaiian. Be sure to use sushi-grade tuna because the fish is raw. Yuzu is a sour Japanese citrus fruit, and you can purchase in some supermarkets and in Asian grocery stores. If you can’t find it, substitute 1 tablespoon lime juice and 1 tablespoon orange juice.
*Recipes and Photos by Disney*
Contact our friends at MickeyTravels today to start planning your magical Disney vacation. Agents with MickeyTravels (designated with Platinum Earmarked status by Disney) can help with everything from finding money-saving discounts to making difficult dining and FastPass+ reservations!
Just fill out the form below or Click Here for your FREE No Obligation Quote.
If you are having trouble viewing the form above, click here.
Thank you for visiting Chip and Co - Your home for the best in Disney News!
Please note we sometimes get commissions for purchases made through links in our posts.
While they spend their free time creating magic as CMs, the opinions expressed are purely their own, and do not represent the views of the Walt Disney Company.
Latest posts by Twinkie & Tooti Miller (see all)
- Gluten Free Options at Maria and Enzo’s in Disney Springs – Allergy-Friendly Dining! - February 14, 2018
- Happy Valentine’s Day Photo-Op at Disney’s Hollywood Studios! - February 13, 2018
- Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple – Star Wars Day at Sea – Disney Cruise Line - February 7, 2018