Adults Only: 5 Activities for Adults on DCL
You finally make it aboard your Disney cruise, you explore the ship, grab your lunch, investigate your stateroom and finally dinner time comes. That sweet hour is far more significant than just a meal…it’s the beginning of one of the best inventions on the seas…the kids clubs.
6:00 pm signals the official opening of the kids clubs that first night of your cruise. The long awaited freedom has come, you enjoy your meal, send the kids off to their own version of paradise and you have peace and quiet, at last! Now what?
“Be careful what you wish for” doesn’t count here. Your children are safe, they are having more fun in the kids clubs than they would ever have with you (I’m sorry, but it’s true and the sooner you realize that and accept it the better your cruise will be-for you and your kids!) so where does that leave you? The possibilities are really endless but here are a few of my favorite “grown up” activities on Disney Cruise Line.
- The Quiet Cove Pool: Yes, it truly is as wonderful as it sounds. The pool chairs are covered with lush mattress style covers, with detachable and relocatable pillows. You won’t see a single diaper bag, hear a single cry or watch one afternoon meltdown. There are drink specials everyday and you don’t even have to leave your comfy chair to get one…there are cast members who will bring your beverages right to you at your chair.
- Various Tastings: Your personal navigator will list various tastings that are available aboard the ship during your cruise. Everything from margaritas to cognac, at all different times of the day. For a nominal fee you can learn about the alcohol you are tasting from the experts (the last cruise I was on had the vineyard owner onboard talking about the wine) and meet new friends.
- Adult Cabaret Shows: Each night there are shows in the adult clubs (18 and over only) with the featured entertainment and live music each night. “Adults only” gives a certain connotation but fear not, this is a Disney ship after-all. You won’t find any raunchy entertainment on these vessels, just a lot of hilarious games, live entertainment and good times. Don’t miss the “Match Your Mate” game and the scavenger hunt…both will leave you doubled over in laughter, gasping for air.
- Music Under the Stars: This is probably more suited for folks not traveling with kids because it happens on Pirate Night. While the expansive buffet, Pirate deck party and a whole bunch of noise are happening at the main pool stage, the quiet pool strikes again with its lovely solitude. On the Disney Wonder you’ll find “The Dreamers” an acoustic duet who will sing to you under the stars while you lounge on pool chairs layered with extremely comfortable overstuffed pillows. This is one of my favorite spots on the ship on Pirate night and it’s never overcrowded because not many people know about it (I suppose the cats out of the bag now!)
- Palo-I make no effort to hide my complete obsession with Palo. On the Disney Wonder I know all the staff by name, they are like extended family. I always over eat and never feel guilty about it and I almost had an emotional breakdown at my local grocery store after my last cruise because I couldn’t find parmaesan that was aged 10 years (talk about addiction and withdrawal!). Aside from the amazing quality of the food the atmosphere is perfect for a romantic dinner, a quiet time away and a truly all encompassing culinary experience. All guilt about leaving the kids behind to enjoy this meal will be out the door by the time the antipasto platter arrives, I guarantee it.
If you were thinking Disney Cruise Line was only for kids I hope this changes your mind! This is only a sampling of some of the things for “grown ups” on board. While it’s perfect for families, if you are traveling without kids; don’t worry…you won’t be over run by other people’s children. The separate areas of the ship for adults, kids and families are perfectly placed so you truly feel isolated.
Spend as much, or as little time as you like with your loved ones and rest assured everyone will be having a good time.
For more information on Disney Cruise Line or for your free quote contact your authorized Disney travel planner, me! Michele@PixieVacations.com
- Top 5 Disney Cruise Quandary’s (chipandco.com)
- Sail Away to a Magical Winter Holiday with Disney Cruise Line (chipandco.com)